j_purr
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 5, 2017

RC28T1-27 stopped working

My RC28T1-27 remote (for my Lifestyle 28 home theater system) out of the blue quit working the other day. I replaced the batteries (twice) but it still doesn't work. If I take it close to the receiver (4-5 ft) it works. What could be wrong? Replacement remotes of this model are very expensive. What other remote would you recommned to replace it?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ryan_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

Re: RC28T1-27 stopped working

Author Accepted Answer selected by j_purr

It sounds like you've done the proper troubleshooting diligently and we agree that the solution at this point would be replacing the remote. While we don't currently sell it online, you can purchase one through your local service on that link when you select the country. While we don't have an official company recommendation for a third party remote, I'm happy to tell you anecdotally that other Lifestyle customers seem to rave about the Logitech Harmony remotes. I would just check with them to ensure that they have a specific code set for this system if you decide to take that route. The RC28S2-27 remote isn't a great replacement because it is designed for an expansion zone and won't have all of the function buttons on it. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Ryan_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

Thank you for reaching out to us. If you are experience short range with your remote, the first thing you can do is stretch the power cord for the media center and move it as far away from other a/v cables in your setup as possible. If range improves, the issue is interference as that power cord acts as the remote antenna for your system. 

The other troubleshooting step you can take is changing the house code. Here's how:

1. Turn the Lifestyle system off
  2. Remove the battery cover from the back of the remote and locate the nine switches above the battery compartment
  3. Change the position of any of the first four switches using a push pin, paper clip or pen
  4. Replace the battery cover
  5. Hold the remote near the media center
  6. Lift the front panel cover on the media center
  7. Press and hold the Store button on the media center. The words "House Code" followed by four squares will appear in the display
  8. While continuing to press the Store button, press any button on the remote
  9. The words "New House Code" will appear in the display and the squares in the display match the position of the first four switches on the back of the remote
  10. Release the Store button
  11. Verify the remote works

If these steps fail to improve the range, the remote would need replacement and it is best to contact your local support HERE. 

j_purr
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 5, 2017

Thank you for your reply. To move my media center from its current location will take a little work (more time than I had last night). My testing last night had some strange results. It seems to work better from straight on (even 10-15 away). If I was at an angle (even slight = ~15 degress) it was less successful. On top of that some buttons worked better than others (I had to press the on/off button 5-10 times before it worked). Is there a chance the buttons are just getting 'worn out'? Any fix for that? Also, the only change in my house that correlates with the remote starting to act up is that I got a new wireless router that has both 2.4 and 5 ghz networks. Could that be a factor (causing interference)? Although, I did shut that down and do some testing with almost identical results.

I hope to spend more time on Sunday or Monday moving things around in my family room to test your first solution.

Please let me know your thoughts on this additional information.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

Thank you for your detailed response. We can definitely shed some light here. While the buttons can wear over time, more often than not the remote will stop working completely over time. This is simply because they are the part of the system that is handled the most. 

The router could definitely be playing a role here in providing interference. The easiest way to eliminate this possibility is to unplug the router at a time when noone in the household requires internet access and test the remote. If the system response from the remote immediately improves, we'll want to go down a slightly different path for troubleshooting. If it doesn't, we'll stay this course. 

If you are able to move the entire media center, that is great. It may be easier to relocate the power cord first depending on your setup and the location of wall outlets. If you do relocate and the results are still the same, at that point we'd want to look at replacing the remote. You can find local service HERE to order one. 

j_purr
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 5, 2017

Thanks again for your info. Here is what I have done:

I unplugged my wireless router to take that out of the equation. Then, I tested the remote again without moving the media center. It still was not working as it used to (~2 weeks ago). Then, I unplugged the media center and moved it (and the power cord) to another room and tested the remote. Results were pretty much the same. It worked reliably from within ~5 ft. Success degraded the further I moved away and pretty much didn't work if I was beyond 16 ft straight on or 11 ft at ~45 degree angle. Again, the on/off button had to be pressed multiple times sometimes but most buttons worked reliably from within the closer range.

I also tried changing the house code. Afterwards it worked when I was close but not faraway (so, no change).

So, this really isn't adding up to me. Someone else has speculated to me that the antenna broke off inside the remote. Is that possible? If so, how does that happen?

Either way, it sounds like I need it fixed or replaced. I searched for RC28T1-27 on the link you sent me and I didn't get a result. I have looked for a replacement online and they are very expensive (why?). Is there another model of Bose remote that will work with my media center (e.g. RC28S2-27)? Or, even a third party/universal remote?

Thanks

Ryan_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by j_purr

It sounds like you've done the proper troubleshooting diligently and we agree that the solution at this point would be replacing the remote. While we don't currently sell it online, you can purchase one through your local service on that link when you select the country. While we don't have an official company recommendation for a third party remote, I'm happy to tell you anecdotally that other Lifestyle customers seem to rave about the Logitech Harmony remotes. I would just check with them to ensure that they have a specific code set for this system if you decide to take that route. The RC28S2-27 remote isn't a great replacement because it is designed for an expansion zone and won't have all of the function buttons on it. 

View solution in original post

mike02
Participant
Registered since

Jun 11, 2017

I found on my remote the the winding on the transmitter had one wire broken, resolder and fixed,also adder a piece of foam to stop raddle and beakage.

j_purr
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 5, 2017

Thanks. I discovered my wire had broke, too (after I bought a new remote 😞 ). I believe this solution would've worked for me, too.