Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 7, 2017

Solo 5 Sound Bar Update Issues

I want to update my Solo 5 Sound Bar firmware and I went to the owners.bose.com site and found the download link to Window and downloaded the file which is called solo5.mdu. The documentation says it should be a .exe file that I can execute to configure and save to a USB stick. Why is the download file named solo5.mdu? I need some help in getting the correct file.

thanks

Grant

27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 15, 2017

Re: Solo 5 Sound Bar Update Issues

I am having the same issue.  I download a solo5.mdu file and have no idea what to do with it.  The directions say I should get a Bose_System_Updater.exe file, but I get the mdu file instead.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi constable and grants3,

We're looking into this, as the .mdu file is not the correct file you two should be receiving.  I'll update this thread once I have more information.

Thanks,

Brandon

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 12, 2017

Looking forward to any update. Robot wink

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 7, 2017

Brandon - When will the correct file be put onto the site. It has been several weeks now.

thanks,

Grant

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 12, 2017

Any updates? Thanks

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi all, 

It looks as if the correct file should be hosted but the instructions still need to be updated. Until they are, please use the following steps to update your system:

1. A computer is needed to download the update information. To retrieve this information, first power off and unplug your Bose® Solo 5 TV sound system.
2. Connect an available USB thumb drive to your computer. Make sure to remove all files from the USB. Continue to the software update updates.bose.com
3. Select your country.
4. Select the "Soundbar and 1-Speaker Home Theater" product group.
5. Select the Solo 5 update link to download software to USB.
6. Once the update has been saved to your USB drive, remove the USB drive from your computer and return to your Bose® Solo 5 TV sound system to perform the update.
7. Insert the USB drive into the connector labeled “Service."
8. Plug in your Bose® Solo 5 TV sound system. The update will start automatically and the light will briefly blink amber every few seconds.
9. The update will take a few seconds to complete. The light on the Bose® Solo 5 TV sound system will continue to blink. When the update is finished, the light will blink green.
10. Once the light is blinking green, remove your USB drive from your Bose® Solo 5 TV sound system. The system will return to normal operation once the USB drive is removed and the system is powered on

Please keep us posted if you continue to have issues. 

Thank you 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 13, 2017

No, it is still no good  😞

When downloading we get still the mdu file and NOY the exe file.

It's not good.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 16, 2017

There's nothing wrong with the explanation on the website. It's the file that is NOT correct.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 25, 2014

Hi All,

There should be no .exe file on the update webpage. As Brent had mentioned the instructions listed on the page were incorrect and we will be correcting them.

You should indeed receive a .mdu file when downloading the update, not a .exe file. In the past we used .exe programs to automatically download the .mdu file to the USB drive, but now we are simply having users skip that step to download the .mdu update file directly to the USB stick.

Did you transfer the .mdu file to a blank USB drive, then unplug the Solo 5 from power and then insert the USB drive with the .mdu update into the Service port on the back of the system, and then plug the power cord back in?

The update should start automatically, indicated by a blinking amber LED on the Solo 5. Once the update is finished the LED should blink green, and then you can unplug the USB drive from the back of the Solo 5.

Please let us know if these instructions allow you to update the Solo 5. Thank you.