Sydney85
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 14, 2018

Soundbar 500 set up

Hello, I have just putchased a soundbar 500 with a bass mode 500. I am encountering problems when setting the soundbar up with the bose app. As I don't have wifi, I used the hotspot of a mobile to connect to both the soundbar and my phone. It successfully found the soundbar and then started to download an update (white light from left to right). After few minutes the light becomes red and nothing happens. I tried to wait 10 min and then power off and on the soundbar and the update seems to start again. Then the light goes on again. The remote isn't working either. Any idea? I was really looking forward watching a movie tonight.
Thanks
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Soundbar 500 set up

Hello Sydney85,

Thank you for the post and welcome to the Bose Community.

I'm sorry to hear this is happening, but I can help. 

The reason why you're running into these different issues during setup is the bandwidth and throughput limitations of a hotspot. We recommend using a home Wi-Fi network from a service provider for a stable experience with both the Smart Home and SoundTouch products.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Best Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Sydney85
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 14, 2018

Hello Joel,

Thanks for your reply.
As I was concerned about this I called the Bose tech support before purchasing the two items. The phone operator said it would not be a problem to use the hotspot of my phone to set up both the soundbar and bass module 500. Because of that, I decided to proceed and purchase them.
I received confirmation to this by another phone operator yesterday. The lady on the phone told me it is an app issue that Bose is trying to solve. Once an update will be released, I eill be able to complete the set up. She did not mention that I need a Wi-Fi connection at all.
This is an incovenient for me as it is hard for me without a Wi-Fi connection. Could you recommend any other way to set them up? Or at least to start using them with my tv and dvd player? In the end I am not particularly interested in using the wifi and alexa functions.

If not, I will consider returning the items back to the shop.
Thanks

Hi Sydney85,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I do apologize about the misinformation that you were given about the Smart home Soundbar 500. These products need a reliable Wi-Fi connection to set up as well as fine-tuning audio adjustments, and AdaptIQ calibration is all dependant on the Bose Music app. 

I hope this helps.

Warm Regards,

Joel 

Sydney85
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 14, 2018

Hello Joel,

Thanks for quick reply.
If I find a Wi-Fi connection, do you think that will solve the issue of the soundbar light going red after a failed attempted of downloading the upgrade. And also, would that solve the remote connection to the soundbar( at present not working)??

Hi Sydney85,

That may resolve the issue with Soundbar LED and remote problem. But you will still have no way to run AdaptIQ to your room to calibrate the audio and also lose the ability to adjust Bass, Treble and Center channel which is all only through the Bose Music app. 

I would say it wouldn't hurt to try and if doesn't work out for you, another solution may provide you with better results.

Warm Regards,

Joel

bradmalinowski
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 21, 2018

I too am having all kinds of problems with the Bose Music app.  I can't get the Bose soundbar 500  to pair with the bass module 500.  Any ideas?  Has anything worked for you?  Thanks!

Sydney85
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 14, 2018

I returned the soundbar& bass module. Sorry I can't help you.
Community Manager

Hi bradmalinowski,

• Have you tried rebooting both the soundbar and bass module by disconnecting power for 1 minute?
  • How far away is the bass module from the soundbar?
  • Are there any wireless devices in the area like a router that could be causing interference?

Let us know so we can further assist!

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

Tirtha
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 27, 2019

I have a major issue that I cannot connect to bose soundbar 500 to my app. I can connect only by Bluetooth.