Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roscojim
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 12, 2017

Soundbar 700 inputs

I'm replacing a SoundTouch 300 with a Soundbar 700. I used a passthrough on the 300, but the 700 doesn't have that option. I have all three input ports being used on my TV. If I use the optical connection, do I lose any functionality that I had with the HDMI connection? I'm thinking no, but I'd like to make sure. Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: Soundbar 700 inputs

Author Accepted Answer selected by Roscojim

Soundwise you may lose a touch of quality.  To be honest, I probably couldn't tell the difference, but a couple of HD formats generally don't pass from the TV by optical.

You shouldn't lose any functionality from the system, but since it's no longer using the HDMI-CEC you will have to reprogram the remote rather than using the plug and play settings.  The Soundbar should automatically turn on when you power on the TV, but you may have to turn it off separately (or let the sleep timer turn off the bar after timing out)

Pretty sure everything else should be the same.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by Roscojim

Soundwise you may lose a touch of quality.  To be honest, I probably couldn't tell the difference, but a couple of HD formats generally don't pass from the TV by optical.

You shouldn't lose any functionality from the system, but since it's no longer using the HDMI-CEC you will have to reprogram the remote rather than using the plug and play settings.  The Soundbar should automatically turn on when you power on the TV, but you may have to turn it off separately (or let the sleep timer turn off the bar after timing out)

Pretty sure everything else should be the same.

View solution in original post

Roscojim
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 12, 2017

Thanks!! Yes, there are couple of formats that can't travel through optical, like Dolby TrueHD and one other, but I'm not concerned.

I have a Harmony remote that I use, so the on/off isn't an issue. Right now, here's my setup --

HDMI 1 (ARC) - DVR

HDMI 2 - Blu-ray player

HDMI 3 - Fire TV Cube

My TV only has three HDMI jacks, so I don't see any choice but to use the optical jack. Losing an HDMI jack was a bad design - the SoundTouch 300 had two, and I didn't have to use the optical connection. Other than that, the soundbar is great!!

On a different note, it's hard to program the remote when it asks me if the volume is being adjusted. No, it isn't because the TV doesn't control the volume. The soundbar does.

Just a couple of quirks.