Soundbar 700 lack of any surround sound

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor

Soundbar 700 lack of any surround sound

I've just set up my new SB700 along with a BM300 and whilst the sound is undoubtedly very impressive I can't hear any surround sound effect.

I realise to get true 5.1 SS I will need the 2 additional rear speakers but have read in other posts, and in various reviews, how great the SB700 is at creating SS, but I'm just not getting it. I've calibrated the system twice using Adaptiq but am still unable to detect any discernable difference to the sound.

The SB700 is conected via HDMI arc to an LG C8 (also new... had a bit of a spend up!!) and I have also tried using an optical cable, but that doesn't really make any difference. For info I'm using either SkyQ or Netflix 4K for the signal.

If anyone had any suggestions I'd be pleased to hear them.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Soundbar 700 lack of any surround sound

Hi Andy B, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

In regards to your query, you will only get true surround sound if you incorporate the rear speakers. 

I hope this helps! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O - Community Support

Quiet Contributor

@Jessie_O wrote:

Hi Andy B, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

In regards to your query, you will only get true surround sound if you incorporate the rear speakers. 

I hope this helps! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O - Community Support

Hi Jessie O,

Thank you for your email.

I do completely understand that, but from reviews I've read I'm disppointed not to detect any form of surround sound.

Indeed from the Bose website, under Phaseguide technology it says, and I quote: "You'll feel like sound is coming from places outside your soundbar"

I don't get that at all, and whilst I'm not expecting 5.1, I was hoping for some semblance of surround sound.

Many thanks

Andy

Hi Andy! 

Thanks for coming back to us. 

Phase guide will create a more immersive sound, it does not give a surround sound experience unless paired with the surround speakers. This technology is more subtle as there are no speakers to produce the sound where you are hearing it. 

I hope this helps!

Kindest, 

Jessie O