doverosx
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 10, 2020

Soundtouch 300 Does not produce surround sound

Hello,

I have been building up my Soundtouch 300 based home theatre/music setup in my basement and overall I am very impressed. I added the Bass module 700 and that is a very good product that produces non-boomy bass that is very low in distortion. 

I was on the fence about the surround 700 speakers so I figured I'd try the Virtually Invisible 300s at first and see how it worked out. So far, I'm glad I didn't spend the extra on the 700 surrounds because it appears that the surround is really "extended side speakers". I have my TV sending PCM through the ARC and confirmed with a receiver and other speakers that my input source (DTS test video) is producing a DTS signal with a point source section of the audio track. The surround will be the only speaker producing sound. This is the crux with the soundtouch 300, when the surround speaker signal is playing you still hear sound from the soundbar which is not true to the input source. 

So far my conclusion is that Bose uses the surround speakers to "extend" the imaging into the room via a point source rather than adding the surround speakers as a discrete channel. The surround speakers do add ambience but it isn't the discrete surround that I was hoping for/expecting based on the advertisement on the Bose website.

So far I've tried playing movies with known discrete surround signals through my Samsung smart tv and my playstation 4. I've used Netflix, YouTube, Prime Video and Disney+ (configured as DD+). 

Am I the only one to notice this? 

5 REPLIES 5
doverosx
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 10, 2020

Re: Soundtouch 300 Does not produce surround sound

I just spotted this post: https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Archive/Virtually-Invisible-300-Wireless-Rear-Speakers/m-p/... 

I will double check my settings and repeat the tests. It would truly be unfortunate that I'd need to use optical audio with my TV because the PCM isn't being used as discrete surround if that's the case. Especially since the TV is a 2019 model from Samsung.

ThierryStephane
Enthusiast
Registered since

Dec 4, 2019

Even if your tv was passing PCM multi channel (which is probably not the case anyway) it wouldn’t work since the soundbar doesn’t support it.

If you set your TV to PCM you will only get it to downmix to stereo.

Set your Tv audio to Dolby Digital, DTS or bitstream. Then you will get proper 5.1 discret channels.

doverosx
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 10, 2020

Digital pass through was confirmed with a NAD T777.

That would be an issue because when I select Dolby Digital or DTS, the TV tells me it isn't "available". I might have to play around with the dubiously named/described settings with CEC, etc. to see if I can force the TV to decode. 

Xyz987
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

You can only do Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1.  Watch a Netflix movie.

doverosx
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 10, 2020

Thanks guys, I understood the device’s limited surround support but that wasn’t the issue.

The TV wasn’t displaying dd or dd+ and was displaying “function not available”. Samsung TVs are contextual, so they only display the available option if it is detected. You have to go to all of your devices and play surround content for the TV to show dd/dd+. 

I opened Netflix and ran the test patterns episode, then pressed settings -> expert-> dd (for soundtouch 300)