Soundtouch 300 and SA-5 Cannot stream from iTunes Mac — Errors 4202 + 1036 +1046

Quiet Contributor

Soundtouch 300 and SA-5 Cannot stream from iTunes Mac — Errors 4202 + 1036 +1046

Hello,

I can’t find any information or trouble shooting about a new issue I’m having. I can’t play music from my Mac iTunes library through my Bose speakers. I have trouble reading the list — frequently I get error 1036, then if I get it to play anything, I keep getting error 4202, after about 10-20 seconds of playback. Then if I try to play again, I get more 1036 and 1046 errors. I get the exact same behavior on my phone and on the SoundTouch app on the mac.

I have a SoundTouch 300 with rears and AM sub, and also an SA-5. I am able to use them both with bluetooth from my iphone.  I am able to use the ST300 with toslink out from my TV.

I removed and re-installed all the Soundtouch apps.
I removed re-started and re-added the speakers.
( I used different speaker names, just in case. )

The speakers appear to connect to Wi Fi successfully, by the lights.
I restarted my router.
I restarted my computer.
I removed and re-added my iTunes library.
I double-checked the iTunes advanced share xml.
I removed my anti-virus and anti-malware apps.

I don’t know what is wrong or what to do next.  This is a hugely frustrating issue; I want to listen to music on my patio and bluetooth is too far away. Streaming from my mac is the only/best way to do this (at least until we get airplay 2) and it seems well and truly broken.  

Please help!
Kraig.

PS.  When the heck are we going to get Airplay 2?  I bought my Bose gear specifically after that announcement in Nov. of 2017 because that feature was critical for me.  Here we are 16 months later and crickets.  That is appalling, and it is making me HUGELY regret buying anything from Bose.  What a disaster.  [sigh]  If I could return it all I would do it in a heartbeat.

PPS.  This is on top of the stupid wi-fi interference bug that makes my AM sub flutter horribly and bottom out whenever I use it wirelessly -- which is of course the key selling point of it!  I have to use it directly connected to the ST300 in order to avoid the horrid sounds, which again are apparent;y caused by wireless interference.  Infuriating.

9 REPLIES 9
Noisy Narrator

Re: Soundtouch 300 and SA-5 Cannot stream from iTunes Mac — Errors 4202 + 1036 +1046

I removed and re-installed all the Soundtouch apps.
I removed re-started and re-added the speakers.
( I used different speaker names, just in case. )

The speakers appear to connect to Wi Fi successfully, by the lights.
I restarted my router.
I restarted my computer.
I removed and re-added my iTunes library.
I double-checked the iTunes advanced share xml.
I removed my anti-virus and anti-malware apps.

Looks like you have done all the SoundTouch troubleshooting. Does regular Sound Touch services like TuneIn work?

How about troublshooting your wifi setup. Especially if you are getting interfereance. Have you tried wifi troubleshootiing like rebooting the router, direct connection using ethernet? How about firewalls? Have you tried setting up on 5GHz? Have you talked to Apple?. 

Re: Soundtouch 300 and SA-5 Cannot stream from iTunes Mac — Errors 4202 + 1036 +1046

Hi Kraig.Schmidt, 

Many thanks for your post and i'm sorry to hear you are having this issue.

From what you have described and with the error codes, it appears there is some communication issues with your MAC, Router and Speakers. 

I would recommend going through your router settings and seeing if making any of these changes may help - 

1. UPnP - Enable
  2. Multicast - Enable
  3. IGMP - Enable
  4. Wireless Isolation - Disable
  5. IGMP Proxy - Disable
  6. Wi-Fi Radio or Radio Mode - Mixed or B/G/N
  7. Stealth mode - Disable
  8. MAC Filtering/Access Control - Disable, or add the Bose system MAC address to allowed devices list
  9. WPS - Disable

Please let us know if this helps at all.

Have a great day

Leon_C - Community Support

Quiet Contributor

Thanks Leon for your reply. I have an Eero gen2 mesh system. I cannot isolate 2.4 or 5 ghz. That is not a user accessible feature. UPnP is enabled.  The radio is a/b/g/n/ac.  Here are the specs for Eero Beacons:  Dual-band WiFi radios, simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless

2x2 MU-MIMO, beamforming, IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac

I cannot access any of those other things you listed.

However, what I find perplexing it that the streaming from my Mac will work for 10, 20, sometimes 30 seconds before cutting off.  That seems meaningful, but I’m not sure what to do. 

Thanks for your help — please advise,

kraig.

PS. 

Regarding ‘interference’ and the subwoofer. I use the word interference in a non-technical sense, because that’s what I’ve seen written in reference to the fluttering issue. I do not have a wi-fi interference problem in my house. I have more than 60 other wi if devices, on both 2.4 and 5 ghz, *none* of which have any connection problems, except for my Bose ST-to-Sub, and now iTunes-to ST. I have an extremely robust signal strength with excellent coverage and throughput. Any problem is a function of Bose making a dumb design for interconnecting the subwoofer and ST 300. And by the way, I tried locating the sub all over the room, and no location made the slightest difference. I cannot even begin to tell you how upset and disappointed I am with this Bose product.  On which I spent a TON (for me) of money!  Now the streaming is broken, and I’m still waiting for Airplay 2 support. This whole experience has made me unlikely to ever buy Bose again. 

Quiet Contributor

Update:

Eero has two features that I turned off that (at least one of which) appear to have fixed *only* the iTunes streaming problem.  ‘Band steering’ and ‘smart queue’ management. 

So i’m VERY pleased about that; I retract my criticism of Bose on that regard.  However, the remaining issues of fluttering sub and airplay 2 remain. 

Kraig. 

Quiet Contributor

UPDATE 2:

I spoke too soon, apparently.  After successfully streaming a 90 minute playlist, when I selected a different artist to stream, the app failed in *exactly* the same way I described in my original post.

SO FRUSTRATED.  I have no idea what to do at this point.

Quiet Contributor

UPDATE  3:

I spoke with Eero and we were able to find the MAC addresses of my ST300 and SA-5. Each device has two MAC addresses. (?!)  

I can assign IP reservations, and port forwards, but I don’t know which ports to forward, on which device MAC(s). I can only assign one port to one MAC.

I tried port 554 o both SA-5 MACs and the streaming failed after 10-20 sec as previously described. 

Should I block one of the Mac addresses? Forward other/additional ports?  Please provide guidance...

thanks,

kraig. 

Highlighted

Hi, Kraig.

I appreciate your frustration. Please find a list of all ports used by SoundTouch below.

ports.JPG

As for the two MAC addresses, one is the WiFi/Ethernet adapter, and one is Bluetooth. Blocking one of them shouldn't help. 

Best regards,

Patrick A - Community Support​​​​​​​

Quiet Contributor

Thanks, Patrick.

Can you please provide me with a bit more guidance?  I can setup port forwarding to my SA-5 (or ST300), but is that correct?  I'm just not sure what to do with that information...

kraig.

Hi Kraig, 

Many thanks for getting back in touch.

As you have gone through a lot of troubleshooting and managed to get at least 90 minutes of audio from your media library before it stopped working, I am going to escalate this issue further for you to see if we can try and resolve this issue. 

For us to do this, I would like to ask if you can obtain some log information from your Soundtouch speakers. Could you firstly confirm which firmware your Macbook is currently running?

Many thanks

Leon_C