Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 18, 2018

Soundtouch 300 soundbar hdmi in and out question/problem

The HDMI input on this soundbar does not produce sound through the soundbar.  Is it supposed to?  DVD player hooked to the HDMI input of soundbar then out to the TV is my connection.  The TV has picture and sound but the soundbar does not have sound.  MY TV does NOT have HDMI ARC or any HDMI output, it only has inputs.

Seems like a malfunction.  Is anyone able to verify?  Soundbar is powered on and I have it set to the TV icon via the remote.  NO sound coming from soundbar!  Volume is up on soundbar. 

Bluetooth works so I know the soundbar will produce sound.  The fiber connection works, tried that. The Fiber is a Different set up so I do not want to use the fiber connection since I need a converter in the middle to make it work.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 18, 2018

Re: Soundtouch 300 soundbar hdmi in and out question/problem

Anyone?  Should connecting this way produce sound?  DVD player HDMI out to Bose soundbar HDMI in then back out from soundbar to TV.  My TV produces sound and picture, the soundbar does not......Anyone?

Is there something I need to do with the soundbar other than it being powered on?  LED light is on the TV icon setting not bluetooth etc.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 12, 2018

Hiya, 

So, the HDMI in and out on your Soundbar are being used correctly, however, your TV does not have an ARC HDMI channel and so the soundbar is not receiving any sound from the TV.

Effectively this is how the signal is run through

DVD > SoundBar > TV > SoundBar (back down the HDMI lead using an ARC port)

The HDMI lead that links your TV and Soundbar is passing video and audio directly through the SoundBar to the TV, but nothing is being returned down that same HDMI lead because your TV does not have an Audio Return Channel. The In and Out Ports are only pass through connections which are linked, they just send the signal through the Bose.

The only way to get your Soundbar to work with your TV is to connect using Optical connection. As you mentioned you would need an adaptor, but there is no other way that this would work. Using optical will allow you to get all sound from the TV including Broadcast TV instead of just from the DVD player.

Hope this helps.

A.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 18, 2018

WOW Just WOW!!!!!  Why would anyone design it this way?  What a horrible design!!!!  I am not a fan of being pigeon holed into things like this.  The exact reason I refuse to buy apple products.  Guess Bose will be joining my future boycot endeavors.

So what if I do this?  Split the HDMI signal from the DVD player and put one of them on the HDMI out on the soundbar?  From what I am understanding this port on the soundbar is able to receive audio?  I will try it and if it works I will set it up like this with my other devices (game system, DVD, etc) via an hdmi switch.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 18, 2018

Bose contacted me!

Thank you for reaching out regarding your SoundTouch 300 that has no audio from the DVD player. The connection you made is correct and it should be producing sound since it allows the audio to pass and go to your TV. Let me provide a few troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue.

1. If the device is connected directly to HDMI IN of the soundbar, the "HDMI IN Direct Audio" setting in the SoundTouch app will need to be turned on and a source button will need to be chosen so that when that source button is pressed on the SoundTouch 300 remote, the soundbar's HDMI input will begin to play audio from the connected source.

To enable or disable the HDMI IN Direct Audio setting, follow these steps:
  1. Open the SoundTouch app
  2. Select Menu
  3. Select Settings
  4. Select Speaker Settings
  5. Select the SoundTouch 300 system name
  6. Select Advanced Setup
  7. Select HDMI IN Direct Audio
    1. Once enabled, in the HDMI IN Source Button section, chose which button on the remote that will activate the HDMI input on the soundbar.
    2. When disabled, the remote button chosen to activate the HDMI input will no longer perform this function.

2. Perform a product reset.

• Turn the soundbar off
  • Unplug the soundbar power cord from the power outlet
  • Wait 30 seconds
  • Reconnect the power cord
  • Wait 30 seconds for the system to reboot

I hope this helps. Have a great day!

Thank you for contacting Bose Corporation.
Marvin
Product and Technical Support Team

Tell us what you think: https://bose.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6ysb2UzGMb8e4Sh?v=2sxucxPAjv0If your TV doesn't have the preferred HDMI-ARC connection, we...
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 12, 2018

Hiya, 

My apologies with an incorrect response. However, the way Bose have told you will only let you play audio from the DVD player through the SoundTouch.

If you have other sources plugged directly into your TV such as an Apple TV or Virgin TiVo box, then the audio from these will not come from the SoundTouch because the audio is not being sent back to the SoundTouch as you do not have ARC.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

@AlexQC25wrote:

" ... Using optical will allow you to get all sound from the TV including Broadcast TV instead of just from the DVD player."

As you suggested (assuming the TV has an optical output) he can send sound from connected devices to the soundbar via Optical.  Only thing that has to be done is toggle between audio inputs (HDMI Audio IN assigned button vs TV button) on the Bose universal remote.  Should work like a charm!