sbs
Collaborator
Registered since

Feb 3, 2019

Soundtouch 300 with Bass Module 500: Dialogue Mode

Hello,  I was wondering about the dialogue mode in Soundtouch 300. I often have to resort to it when watching some series on Netflix. Even when the volume is high (40+ level), the clarity of dialogues is not good unless I turn on the dialogue mode.

The question I have is about how is the dialogue mode and center channel volume settings related to bass settings.

1. Are bass settings on Soundbar essential redundant/nonfunctional when in the dialogue mode? Would that also mean that the accompanying Bass Module 500 mostly plays no sound as lower frequencies are cut off in the dialogue mode? 
  2. Is increasing center channel volume an alternative to the dialogue mode that is supposed to enhance the clarity of dialogue while not altering the lower frequencies played both through Soundbar and connected Bass Module 500? Also, will increasing center channel volume work even in the absence of rear channel speakers?

Thanks

sbs

11 REPLIES 11
Zoe_C
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

Re: Soundtouch 300 with Bass Module 500: Dialogue Mode

Hello sbs,

Thanks for posting in the community, I am sorry to hear you are experiencing poor dialogue clarity unless you are in dialogue mode. Firstly, the bass is not redundant but it is subdued, so you will feel the bass more than you will hear it. Secondly, Upping the center channel is not an alternative for dialogue mode but upping the treble could help amplify the frequency of the human voice whilst leaving bass settings the same. 

I hope this helps, should you need anything else then please get in touch.

Kindest regards,

Zoe_C

sbs
Collaborator
Registered since

Feb 3, 2019

Hi Zoe. Thank you very much. I am not sure how to up the treble alone. I don't see any such setting available in Soundtouch app or on the Soundtouch remote. Could you please suggest how to do this?

Regards

sbs

Hector_B

Hi Sbs, 

Thanks for reaching back out and updating us on this. You can't directly adjust the treble, however you can lower the bass making the treble more prevalent.  This can be adjusted by pressing the Bass button on the remote and then decreasing the bass via the Volume - button. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
sbs
Collaborator
Registered since

Feb 3, 2019

Hi Hector_B, Thank you. I am aware that increasing/decreasing the bass is the only option available. However, as I understand the sub becomes practically non-operational at zero/low bass, right?

I am still unclear what center volume  (on soundtouch app) is meant for and how it differs from dialogue mode (on soundtouch remote). Any specific use cases for both? 

Regards

sbs

Hector_B

Hi Sbs, 

Thanks for posting and updating me on this. 

When Dialog mode is on it is essentially attenuating the frequency where speech occurs. The center channel is where dialog usually is delivered so increasing this is useful if you are listing to a 5.1 mix. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B  

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
sbs
Collaborator
Registered since

Feb 3, 2019

Thanks Hector.

So center channel settings would not make any difference when not using rear speakers, right? Is dialog mode the only way to increase voice clarity when using Soundtouch 300 with Bass Module 500.

Regards

sbs

Hector_B

Hi Sbs, 

The center channel setting will only affect the Soundbar. Dialog mode is the only way to get the best results for dialog. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

mspencer77sa
Participant
Registered since

Jul 25, 2019

I would like to ask a follow up question to this thread.

I have ST 300 with AM 300 and Surround 700s in a 5.1 setup. I, too, sometimes have the dialogue seem muffled by the bass and surround effects from rear speakers. If I switch to dialogue mode, does this diminish the quality and volume of sound coming from the surround speakers when the attenuation is changed by dialogue mode? I don't want to lose the awesome surround quality from the rears if I can help it. Hope this makes sense. Thank You!

Xyz987
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

My experience is it just makes the center speaker louder, but I don't know for sure.  I use this feature frequently when I have trouble understanding the dialogue.  It's easy enough to turn it on and off.