Silent Starter
Registered since

May 8, 2017

Soundtouch 520 Speaker Wires

I am interested in purchasing a Soundtouch 520 system to replace an existing home theatre.  I already have standard speaker wire running from the area behind the TV to the spot where the rear speakers are currently mounted.  However, I noticed that the both the speakers and the control unit use a plug at each end of the wire, which leads me to the following:

1) Can I splice a section of the new wire to the existing wire at each end to connect the existing wire to the new Soundtouch 520 speakers?  Or am I better off replacing the entire wire? (would like to avoid doing that if possible)

2) How long is each wire included for the speakers in the Soundtouch 520 kit?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: Soundtouch 520 Speaker Wires

I don't believe the wires that come with your Bose system are certified to run behind and through wall structures. Any wires that are running though your walls should be certified to do so. That includes speaker wires.

If your existing wires are certified to run through wall structures then you should be able to splice your Bose wires accordingly. Insurance companies are very picky about these things now a days.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 8, 2017

Re: Soundtouch 520 Speaker Wires

I never said the wires are behind a wall.  The existing wires are tacked down on the outside of a sofit in a basement family room.  I would just like to avoid having to take them down and replace them if possible.