Azzaman
Participant
Registered since

Jun 16, 2018

Surround Sound with an Onkyo receiver and Acoustimas 10 series V

Hi there,

I have a new Onkyo TX NR 676E with the AM 10 series V. Set up is great and get good sound in my room with both music and TV. I would like to double check I have the correct setting as I have discovered an issue when i played a Dolby 5.1 on a you tube video that was suggested from these forums on another post. 

First question is that I have, under Speaker, Configeration, Crossover (2-2) the speakers set to Full Band (For tower speakers). I am assuming this is pretty much the same as "large" speakers in the bose manual. I also have the LFE set to 80Hz. Sound all good?

For the surround issue, if I go to Speaker, Level Calibration, and test all the individual speaker I get the correct white noise coming from each of the channels Fronts L & R, Centre, Back L & R and Sub. BUT when I played the 5.1 dolby clip suggested from these forums (here) when the test goes to the surround back Left and Right, the sound plays out of the corrosponding front speaker (right rear plays front right). And the sub doesnt play when LFE test sound plays on the screen. I was assuming this was more to do with the clip but checked my setting and is downloading at full resolution (through Apple TV). Other clips seemed to have sounds coming from all speakers, but not in the above mentioned clip. 

Some other quick questions. For music would it be more common to play with All Stereo. I assume all the speakers are exactly the same out put etc. 

Thanks in advance. 

Aaron

3 REPLIES 3
Tony_A
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Re: Surround Sound with an Onkyo receiver and Acoustimas 10 series V

Hello Azzaman

Thanks for posting in the community!

It sounds like you have the speakers configured properly, one suggestion is maybe bump up the cross over to 100-150hz.  Reason being, is with the smaller cube speakers, you may want the Acoustimass module to handle some slightly higher frequencies.  

When checking the YouTube video, what is the device you're streaming it from?  Some devices like computers may be limited on the device can output for audio.  A lot of times, computers will only pass a 2.0 signal.  

Let us know so we can further assist!

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Azzaman
Participant
Registered since

Jun 16, 2018

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

For bumping up the cross over to 100-150hz, does this apply to the fronts, centre, surrounds and bass? 

I was playing the you tube through an Apple TV 4th generation connected through HDMI. 

Greg_B
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Jun 6, 2018

Hi Aaron,

You'll want to set the crossover settings for everything but the LFE to "Full Band". Set the LFE to 100Hz to start and see how it sounds to you. Adjust it up as necessary. As for the video clip you linked. YouTube doesn't output 5.1 audio so all you are going to hear is 2-channel stereo. Long story short, it's YouTube not your speakers!!

Note: This thread is moving to the Home Theater board.

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support