Surround Speaker Location Recomendations

Silent Starter

Surround Speaker Location Recomendations

I just purchased the Bose Soundbar 700 with bass and surround speakers. I will be installing the WB-50 brackets with the surround speakers. What is needed is some recommendations for location of surround speakers. My room is about 14 feet wide and 8 feet tall. Room is about 17 feet long with TV on the end. Couch is about 12 feet from tv. How far off the side walls should the surround speakers be mounted? What height should they be?
8 REPLIES 8
Friendly Fanatic

Re: Surround Speaker Location Recomendations

As there is no real definitive position for the speakers because of room accoustics the best plan if possible is to temporarily try out different positions. They should however not be forward of the seating position. You may find you get the best overall performance by pointing speakers at rear wall or side walls as high frequencies are affected by reflections from walls ,windows and furniture. In my case I actually found best position was in the rear corners opposite television and I have them mounted using the brackets on the ceiling.
Quiet Contributor

I am thinking of getting the surround speakers.  I have the soundbar 300 and the Bass 700 unit.

I notice that the surround speakers have a seperate wifi reciever. 

Did you install this in the ceiling?  Wondering if you encountered any problems.

How does the unit go with the ceiling heat.  Not sure what region you are in but we have summers that can reach 43c outside.

The ceiling might reach 20c higher. 

Thanks

Friendly Fanatic

WiFi units are above the ceiling in the loft/attic space. I am in the relatively cool UK although temperatures can be above 30°C. However as these units only draw 30W and are normally cool to touch I decided it was worth trying .They are in a large volume of air and sitting on a metal base to dissipate any excess heat that may arise. Also as they have about 5meters of cable to the speakers they can be moved elsewhere if necessary
Noisy Narrator

@Sparkslord wrote:
I just purchased the Bose Soundbar 700 with bass and surround speakers. I will be installing the WB-50 brackets with the surround speakers. What is needed is some recommendations for location of surround speakers. My room is about 14 feet wide and 8 feet tall. Room is about 17 feet long with TV on the end. Couch is about 12 feet from tv. How far off the side walls should the surround speakers be mounted? What height should they be?

From Bose: We recommend placing the speakers behind the main listening area—one on the left side and one on the right side of the room—for optimum sound quality. 

I suggest mounting the speakers on Bose floor stands. Bose makes some good looking ones. That brings the speakers to head listening height. Which is the ideal listening height for 5.1 channel listening.

Your system is a 5.1 setup and doesn’t call for centre direct rear listening channels like Dolby HD or or elevated like Atmos. Rear satellites in a 5.1 system are best placed in the rear corners of your room. Some rooms only allow for side wall location, some allow for the speakers to be placed behind the couch. Envision an arc emitting from your head, not going further than the front of your head or too far behind your head.

Elevating the rear satellites would be unnecessarily complicated having to bury cables etc. The nice thing about putting the speakers on low profile Bose stands is you can fine tune the position of the speakers with your listening preferences by simply moving the stands around and running Adapt IQ. 

Friendly Fanatic

Fine except of course you may have to hide cables trailing across the floor instead of up or down the walls ?
Noisy Narrator

@BrianJP wrote:
Fine except of course you may have to hide cables trailing across the floor instead of up or down the walls ?

Ideally the stands could be situated close to wall receptacles where you can plug in the power/radio module. The wires then go from the module up the stand to the speaker. The only wire trailing on the floor would be the power cord travelling to the wall power receptical.

If you do the wall mount method you will have to either surface mount the wires (ugly) or bury behind the wall. A lot more work drilling holes fishing the wire etc. Granted a pretty clean way to do things when you incorporate the Bose wall mounts. You still have the power/receiver module to contend with.

The accessory page gives a few ideas about locating the rear speakers. 

I forgot to mention, I don’t believe the power modules are supposed to be buried behind walls or in ceilings. Fire concerns and all.

Quiet Contributor

"I forgot to mention, I don’t believe the power modules are supposed to be buried behind walls or in ceilings. Fire concerns and all."

This is what I am trying to workout.  How have poeple mounted these devices and where does the receiver module live?

All the pictures look nice, but they do not explain where the receiver goes.  I could also not see what temperture the module can operate between.

Highlighted

Hi Bose Man,

So the receiver is located in the small black box between the speaker and the power outlet. This needs to be within the range of the Soundbar. It's rated at 30ft maximum however physical interference can affect this.

I hope this information helps.

Kind Regards,

Brandon_C - Community Support