danielpsmith
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 15, 2018

UK Bose Wave now in Canada and not functioning. Transformer advice needed - or service request?

Hi guys, 

I have a Bose Wave system, bought in Ireland/UK (220v) around 10 years ago. I recently brought it to Canada and didn't even think about the voltage. So I'm now stuck with an unusable beautiful sound system. 

Does anyone know if this will work to it's maximum if I bought an UP transformer and if so, what type would I need for this system for it to work in Canada (110v)?

OR - even better, does Bose offer a service where they change the internal transformer for you?

$_59.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Re: UK Bose Wave now in Canada and not functioning. Transformer advice needed - or service request?

Hi danielpsmith

Thanks for posting in the community!  Sorry to hear about the power issues, but would be glad to help!

I would recommend purchasing a high quality step up transformer to up the voltage to 220v to get the system up and running.  If this does not work, I would recommend contacting your local support center by clicking HERE.  Just select your country and Contact Us at the bottom to display a number for support to see if they are able to complete a voltage conversion for you.

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Highlighted
PierreB
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 17, 2018

Re: UK Bose Wave now in Canada and not functioning. Transformer advice needed - or service request?

Hi,

I bought a Bose Wave III in the US 4 years ago when we were living there and we just have moved back to Europe. I have the same problem but the other way around. It does not work on 220v and I don't want to use a step-up/down transformer as recommended in previous posts because it takes too much power, is ugly and switching the transformer off and on is not practical.

Actually only the internal transformer needs to be replaced. I have also asked Bose if they would change it but I have no reply - yet.

Meanwhile I am searching the web to find the original 220 V transformer as built on the 50 Hz version and exchange it myself on my device. There are only 2 connectors and it seems easy.

I mean if your transformer would fit on my device and mine on yours, it would just be great if we could switch our transformers right ? Just throwing ideas if Bose is not offering to do it.

Thanks

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Hi PierreB

Thank you for writing in!  When you reached to support or via email?  I would recommend calling as there would be different service options available in different regions.  Just use the link in the previous post for contact information.  I have reached out to our service teams to see if we still offer this option globally.

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

Highlighted
PierreB
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 17, 2018

Hi Tony,

do you jave any feedback ? It is so simple to replace the internal transformer, I don't want to use an external step-up/-down transformer for the above reasons. We invested some money in this system and I hope to find a better solution than that.
Anyway, to the Bose community: if you moved from a 240v/50Hz to a 110v/60Hz region with a Bose wave, contact me, we may exchange our internal transformers ! Thanks
Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

HI PierreB

Thanks for reaching back out.  The service division did reach out to me.  We no longer offer a power conversion between  countries as other components would also need to be replaced within the unit like the tuner as the spacing is different between regions.  

Warm Regards,

Tony A