AGB
Participant
Registered since

Jun 7, 2019

Using Lifestyle 135 Series II remote for 4K Set Top Box connected directly to TV

I have an upgraded Set Top Box (STB) which I have connected directly to my 4K TV to maintain video quality. Previously my STB was connected through my Lifestyle 135 Series II: when I selected the STB as input, the remote would configure to enable me to control the STB. I now have to select TV as the input (to get audio via the optical connection), so is there a way to configure the remote to still control the STB?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AGB
Participant
Registered since

Jun 7, 2019

Re: Using Lifestyle 135 Series II remote for 4K Set Top Box connected directly to TV

Author Accepted Answer selected by AGB

I have found a work-around that seems to work effectively. I connected the video from my STB direct to the TV; and the (optical) audio from my STB to input4 on my console (with no video connection defined).

It has the slight disadvantage that I cannot see any video overlay from the Bose console when I am watching the STB, but the Bose remote is able to control the STB without having the video connected.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Vicky_W

Re: Using Lifestyle 135 Series II remote for 4K Set Top Box connected directly to TV

Hi AGB, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community. 

Your STB will need to be plugged into the Lifestyle console in order for the Bose remote to control it, as in order to program a device with the remote it needs to be connected to the Lifestyle system. 

I hope this makes sense. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
AGB
Participant
Registered since

Jun 7, 2019

As you are aware the 135 Series II does not support 4K video (nor pass it through) so I cannot connect the new STB to the console and retain 4K quality.

At worst, I expect I can program buttons on the remote in TV mode to override TV commands with STB commands. This is a bit of a kludge and it would be better if I could somehow switch the remote to STB mode without altering the input to the console: that is what I am asking whether it is possible, but it may not be.

Regards

AGB

Vicky_W

Hello AGB, 

Thanks for reaching back out. 

You are correct, the LifeStyle 135 II does not support 4k pass through. But the only way to control the STB with the Bose remote is for it to be plugged in. 

If your STB has a universal remote you could speak with the manufacture and get the remote codes to see if you can control the Bose System with it but we cannot confirm. 

I hope this information helps.

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W  

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
AGB
Participant
Registered since

Jun 7, 2019

Author Accepted Answer selected by AGB

I have found a work-around that seems to work effectively. I connected the video from my STB direct to the TV; and the (optical) audio from my STB to input4 on my console (with no video connection defined).

It has the slight disadvantage that I cannot see any video overlay from the Bose console when I am watching the STB, but the Bose remote is able to control the STB without having the video connected.

View solution in original post