Using old Bose Lifestyle 5 Series II Acoustimass Modules and Cube Speakers

Silent Starter

Using old Bose Lifestyle 5 Series II Acoustimass Modules and Cube Speakers

I have and old Bose Lifestyle 5 Series II system and it appears that the Lifestyle music center that contains the CD player and provide input to the Acoustimass Module is not working.  I'd like to know if it is possible to connect the Acoustimass Module and Cube speakers (via the Acoustimass Module) up to another Bose product so that I can continue to use the speakers that I think are still working fine.  Ideal would be to hook up to a SoundTouch Amplifier that would allow me to connect the speakers to my Wifi network.  Looking at the different sets of connections, it's not obvious that this is possible.  Especially not sure what to do with the "system control" connection that runs from the music center to the Acoustimass Module.  Is it possible to at least drive the cube speakers from the Soundtouch amplifier?

5 REPLIES 5
Community Manager

Re: Using old Bose Lifestyle 5 Series II Acoustimass Modules and Cube Speakers

Hi classicalman,

Thanks for writing in!  

Before looking into a new Wi-Fi amplifier or receiver, I would recommend running one test first.  If you have another source device that has RCA outputs like a cable box or TV, I would recommend connecting the bass module and speakers here first to see if the speakers still work. 

If they do, I would look into a new third party receiver or amp that has RCA outputs as well.  Reason being, is the SA-5 amp does not come a controller and is only app operated.  If anything were to happen with the network, you wouldn't be able to do anything and a remote would be useful in this situation.

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support

Silent Starter

May I butt in as I have a similar problem? I have a LS5 system which is working fine, with Accustimass 5 Series 1V and cubes with the Bose logo centered. All is working fine, but it is twenty years old and cannot do the things I want to do, like stream music. Also, I have a modern TV and have to connect it to the LS5 with phono plugs and a jack-to-phono adapter. Very 20th Century. I would like to use Optical.

I would like to buy a Soundlink if it will allow me to stream from my iPhone but I too am wondering how the Soundlink would link. Where in the chain would the Soundlink go? Between the TV and the LS5? 

Incidentally, I am on VirginMedia Broadband. Also, while I've got your attention, can I control sources with an AI system like Alexa? I.e. Select Video, CD Player, AUX?

Sorry for interrupting

Silent Starter

I did try routing a couple of old CD players (one small portable one and one alone unit that was part of a stero system) that had RCA outputs into the Acoustimass module to test if that would work, but I got no sound output from the Acoustimass module or any of the other speakers.  That is what made be suspect that something needed to be done with the system control input in order to make the acoustimass module happy.

Hello classicalman! Welcome to the Community. Thanks for posting.

It sounds like you want to stream music to your Lifestyle 5. The setup you have suggested is not going to work because the Acoustimass module needs that system control input. I'd recommend looking at the SoundTouch Wireless Link adapter. This will allow you to use the SoundTouch app on your smartphone to stream music from Internet sources such as Pandora, Spotify, TuneIn, etc.

Let us know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps! 

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

Hello Gorrion! Welcome to you as well! 

The SoundTouch Wireless Link adapter would be the best choice in your situation as well with a few caveats. First, it will allow you to stream music from your iPhone to the Lifestyle however since the Lifestyle 5 is not digital there would be no advantage to using a digital optical cable from your TV as your current setup works. To take advantage of digital sources you would need to update to a more recent system. The adapter will allow you to stream from your connected Echo device with command like "Alexa, play jazz in the Living Room", however it is not capable of switching sources on your Lifestyle 5. You would connect the adapter using the included RCA cable to the Aux input on the back of your CD5 media center. Hope this helps! 

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support