Travasaurus
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 20, 2018

Wave Radio / CD AWRC1G Remote Suddenly Stopped Working

I've got a Wave Radio / CD AWRC1G that worked like a charm until just recently when the remote suddenly went dead. No warning or indication whatsoever; 1 day it worked perfectly and the next day it didn't.  I've been troubleshooting with Bose tech support for 3 sessions now; they've sent me 2 new remotes and the unit has been turned off and on (with the backup battery removed) numerous times but no luck so they finally gave up.  I even took the case off and checked to be sure all the ribbon cables were secure and that nothing was blocking the "electric eye" (sensor) just in case that might be the problem, but it wasn't.   The tech support girl said it was too old to send in for repairs and that she'd never seen anything like it before, since the manual controls on top work flawlessly (as does everything else on the unit) but this is a "bedroom Bose" so it's a nightmare having to get up and walk across the room (often in the dark) to operate the thing.  Can anybody postulate a guess as to what would cause this to happen, literally overnight?  The unit is up on a shelf and has not been subject to any sort of fall, spilled liquids, etc.  I hate like the Devil to get a new one because this one works so well otherwise but the lack of a remote is killing me.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Wave Radio / CD AWRC1G Remote Suddenly Stopped Working

Hi Travasaurus,

Thank you for the post, and welcome to the community.

Are you able to replace the batteries in the new remotes? If you could, purchase a few brand new CR2032 batteries and put them in the brand new remotes you received from us.  Depending on the age of the new stock, those batteries could be 15-20 years old.  The lifespan of lithium coin batteries is 10 years or so.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Brandon - Community Support

Highlighted
Travasaurus
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 20, 2018

I put a new battery in the old remote before I ever called tech support the 1st time and tried that same new battery in the subsequent 2 remotes as part of the lengthy troubleshooting process I went through on 3 (count 'em, 3) different occasions and they (tech support) left no stone unturned as part of the process.  Trust me, if I don't know anything else by now, I know it's not a faulty remote.  All of the remotes were transmitting signals because you could hear a faint "crackling" or "static" through the speakers when they were activated close-up to the radio.  They seem to think it was related to the "electric eye" (remote sensor) but that's as far as they got; short of a factory inspection of the problem that's all they could do over the phone.  Any further suggestions would be welcome.

Hi Travasaurus,

Thanks for the info.

It does sound like an issue with the IR sensor in the system.  Short of a replacement of the system, there isn't much that can be done for this.

Best Regards,

Brandon