Daryl K
Participant
Registered since

Jun 12, 2017

Wave Radio / CD no longer responding to remote

I think the issue / solution here is pretty clear, but thought I'd see if there are any other alternatives. This is an original Wave unit, purchased new 12 years ago (and first problem I've ever had with it).

I think the receiving unit on my Bose died. It tells time fine, but does not respond to any button pressed on the remote.

Now, before you say the obvious: I did install a new battery in the remote, AND I verified the remote is transmitting via two methods: I have one of those IR-sensitive cards that you can point any remote at and see the flashes, and also using my iPhone (if you use the forward-facing "selfie" camera and point the remote at it in a dark room you can see the flashes there too). Whether or not the remote is sending scrambled messages I cannot verify, but as this is not a programmable-type remote I figured those were hard coded and not likely to be corrupted.

So, given that I can see the remote is transmitting, does anyone think it's worth still buying another spare remote, or can I safely assume it's the receiver? If the latter, does Bose have any repair services, or am I destined to buy a whole new one?

This has some sentimental value: my wife purchased it new as a gift for my 40th birthday.

20 REPLIES 20
Emmet_H
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

Re: Wave Radio / CD no longer responding to remote

Hello Daryl K,

You can try resetting the system. To do that you want to unplug the power, if there is a battery compartment on the bottom of the system also remove those batteries. Let the system sit for a full minute and then reconnect to power and see if it will respond to the remote. 

Daryl K
Participant
Registered since

Jun 12, 2017

@Emmet_H wrote:

Hello Daryl K,

You can try resetting the system. To do that you want to unplug the power, if there is a battery compartment on the bottom of the system also remove those batteries. Let the system sit for a full minute and then reconnect to power and see if it will respond to the remote. 

Hi Emmet,

Thank you. I should have mentioned that I did this also (before posting). I left it unplugged for over an hour, BUT, when I plugged it back in it still had the correct time. I assume there must be a backup battery that I did not unplug. Do you think this would make a difference? If so, how do I access and remove or unplug this battery?

Daryl

Daryl K
Participant
Registered since

Jun 12, 2017

Sorry, I just re-read and noticed you mentioned the battery cover. This I did not do. I am out of town on business now but will be back Friday evening to try this. If it does not correct the issue I assume there's a flat-rate fee for repair services?

Daryl

Daryl K
Participant
Registered since

Jun 12, 2017

OK, I do not have a battery compartment on mine - not on the bottom, not anywhere that I can see (my model does not have buttons on the case - it is remote only).

The model is AWRCC1. Clearly it has some kind of backup, because I unplugged it for an hour and it still had correct time.

Does it just do this with a large capacitor? Is there an embedded rechargeable battery inside? Does it matter (if I find it and disconnect it while removing poer) as a valid reset?

Emmet_H
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

Hi Daryl K,

If there are no buttons on the system, then it would be the Wave Music System. The WMS does not have the battery compartment, to reset that one you just unplug it for one full minute. If you have access to another remote it would be worth trying, but since it seems like the remote is working I would suggest contacting your local service for repair option, HERE is a link. 

Daryl K
Participant
Registered since

Jun 12, 2017

Is this site working? I am trying the Bose store locator and get nothing but a [mnostly] blank page.

I've tried three different browsers.

Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Daryl,

Yes, the link works for me.  What about this link?

Thanks,

Brandon

roseyrose
Participant
Registered since

Jan 10, 2018

Did you ever get your Bose to work again?  The same exact thing has happened to my similar unit which is also 12 yrs old and has sentimental value (an early Christmas gift we gave to our elderly dad and he died unexpectedly the day after Christmas).  The battery in the remote works. The clock is working (but I didn't even think to see if I can reset it). But nothing happens with anything else. Am I destined for service repair?  Thanks

Lauri
Participant
Registered since

Jan 12, 2018

My unit is also this old....if you go ebay ...in the search bar put in Bose repair...it brings up a guy  Donald Miller in Wisconsin....who for 75 bucks (for our age unit), and charges a little more for newer units will repair, clean, overhaul, restore, etc...and gets it done and back to you within two weeks....can’t go wrong if you ask me. My Dad and sister have both had theirs repaired by this guy.... last year and they said it’s well worth it and would pay this man again.....hope this helps