Highlighted
ztodaro95
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 26, 2017

Wave Radios aren't supposed to smoke

I am no tech genius but I am pretty sure a Bose Wave Radio (AWR1-1W) is not supposed to smoke.

I was recently given this radio as a gift and it ran good for a period of time (3 years since I obtained it). However this morning I turned it on to do my daily routine; play music as I work out, then give up and eat a gallon of ice cream. After I turned it on, I noticed the screen wasn't displaying anything. I started to switch between the radio and aux options. Then, a fine stream (really thin but noticable) of smoke started to waft its way into my nostrils. I took the radio apart and noticed the the ribbon cable went bad. It looks like it somehow dislodged itself and came into contact with another metal and thus a reaction occured. I am still scratching my head. I have searched everywhere for a replacement and couldn't find anything. I am wondering if I can subsitute the ribbon cable for a different one with the same amount of pins and volts.

Ribbon Cable Specs: 

Sumitomo-Y AWM 2896 80C VW-1

20 pins

Width: 27mm (approx.)

Since I can't find this specific ribbon cable, I am wondering if I would be able to use a different one such as:

https://www.ebay.com/i/152215369905?chn=ps&dispItem=1

This is the cable that went bad

Optimized-20170626_230303.jpg