Wave SoundTouch IV - officially supported music library software

SOLVED
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic

Wave SoundTouch IV - officially supported music library software

1) New Bose customer. I plan to rip new cds and move my existing ripped files (all flac) to a NAS.

What music library/ripping software is officially supported by Bose for the Wave SoundTouch IV?

2) My current, but small test library, resides on a PC and was ripped with WMP.

Will I have any trouble moving this library to the NAS?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Author Accepted Answer selected by SingingEyeTie

Accepted Solutions

Re: Wave SoundTouch IV - officially supported music library software

Hi again,

Good question.  The application doesn't actually communicate with the NAS drive directly.  The individual SoundTouch system communicates with the NAS drive (or any source you're using) and reports the data back to the SoundTouch App.  The app is simply an interface for controlling the speaker.  

The music library collects the locations of the tracks, then serves them up to the SoundTouch system.  The SoundTouch system then reports the track information back to the SoundTouch App.

It can be a little tricky, so please let us know if you have any questions!

Best,

Brandon

5 REPLIES 5
Community Manager

Hi SingingEyeTie,

Thanks for writing in!

We do not recommend any specific ripping program as long as it can output to a format the system can read.  Here are the currently supported formats for the SoundTouch systems:

• MP3
  • AAC (excluding protected files)
  • M4A (including Apple lossless [ALAC])
  • WMA (excluding WMA lossless)
  • OGG (Spotify only)
  • FLAC (16 bit/44.1 kHz — stereo files only) 

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Friendly Fanatic

Thanks for the info. I am using flac files. I had started with WMP but have decided to move on since msft is abandoning it. I was trying MusicBee but they told me that their library does not “play well” with Bose SoundTouch IV.

So back at square one. I will pay for something that works but is not “over the top”. I am not a super audiofile. Your experience would be useful.
Community Manager

Hi SingingEyeTie,

The music libraries that are compatible with the SoundTouch products from a PC/Mac would be iTunes and Windows Media Player.  Like you mentioned before, a NAS drive would be the third option to host your music files for playback through the SoundTouch app.  

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

Friendly Fanatic

Still trying to understand the role of the music library vs the music files. 

So...

1) SoundTouch app reads the music files directly from a NAS. 

2) SoundTouch app reads the music library when the music files are on a PC/Mac.

3) A music library is for organizing music files.

4) Media software is used to create music files (flac, mp3 etc) and is used to organize music files into a manageable library.

Is that right?

Thanks for your help.

Hi again,

Good question.  The application doesn't actually communicate with the NAS drive directly.  The individual SoundTouch system communicates with the NAS drive (or any source you're using) and reports the data back to the SoundTouch App.  The app is simply an interface for controlling the speaker.  

The music library collects the locations of the tracks, then serves them up to the SoundTouch system.  The SoundTouch system then reports the track information back to the SoundTouch App.

It can be a little tricky, so please let us know if you have any questions!

Best,

Brandon