Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 19, 2018

Wave SoundTouch music System IV

I have purchased Bose Wave Soundtocuh IV system yesterday. While purchasing I am struggling to find out the best solution to connect my LG Smart HD 3D TV audio output to Bose Wave Aux input to play the audio from Bose system while video in the LG TV. I have gone through many string in Bose community till then and wanted to understand the best performance feasible solution. The TV signal is coming thorugh Videcon d2H HD set top box through HDMI connection. 

The TV has got only one output and that is Digital Optical port and no headphone co-ax port. While the STB has got RCA Red and White port. Now one opition understood is to convert the digital output of TV for audio to analouge signal through some converter. However again all such convertre in market again has got one side optical port and other side RCS red and white ports. While the Bose Wave soundtuch only have one 3.5mm stereo port. So do I need to use converter and then a Y cable again to connect from TV to Bose system and in such case how the quality of sound will be and whether there shall be any lag between video and audio signal?

Second option understood is taking from STB through a Y cable and connect to Bose. But in such case whether audio shall be played in both TV and Bose or STB can't support both at the same time as anyway the HDMI connection (for both audion and video) from STB to TV anyway has to be there. 

Can someone please suggest whether the options considered are right in direction and answer couple of questions above or I am totally thinking in wrong sirection and there's some better option avaialble. 

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Wave SoundTouch music System IV

Hi dpsen,

Thanks for the questions, and welcome to the community!

There are many ways you can set your system up.  My recommendation would be to use the optical port from your television to a Digital to Analog converter.  You can then use a Dual Male RCA to 3.5mm Stereo Male cable to change that red and white connection into a smaller plug that will fit into the AUX connection of the Wave system.

If you have any more questions or would like more clarification, please let us know!

Best Regards,

Brandon - Bose Support

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 19, 2018

Thanks Brandon. Much Appreciated. Actually I have made some workaround already but not sure whether this is correct or optimum per quality of audio is concerned. My Videocon d2h set top box has got RCA female connectors for Audio out and also a SPDIF port. The STB is connected to my LG TV through HDMI cable. And now, I have used a Red/White/Yellow 3 RCA one side to 3.5mm male one side cable. I put red and white RCA male with corresponding ports of STB and left one (Yellow) to SPDIF port. And finally other side 3.5mm male to Bose Wave. 

I found sound is coming from both Bose and TV and I can always mute the TV sound. Only adjustments I have to do in STB audio setting is in stead of "Auto" or "Surround", I had to put it in "Stereo" mode; else some of the channel sounds are not coming. 

Couple of queries:

1) Whether the connection made is correct?

2) Or there is some special cable could have been used only one side with SPDIF RCA coax and other side 3.5mm Male. And I need not to connect anything on Red/White RCA port at all. But onlt putting one male RCA in SPDIF is not working. 

3) Why in the present setting in "Auto" and "Surround" mode the sound from ceratil channels of TV are not coming?

Thanks in advance for your kind responses.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi dpsen,

Thank you for getting back to us.

• Whether the connection made is correct? You only need to connect the Red and White not the Yellow cable. The reason being is because SPDIF is a digital source and not analog, you would need to purchase a Digital to Analog converter for this.
  •  Why in the present setting in "Auto" and "Surround" mode the sound from certain channels of TV are not coming? This is because the Wave can only receive an analog signal and is unable to process Auto or Surround signals.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Joel 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 19, 2018

Thanks for the clarity Joel. One observation want to highlight though. If I take the red & white RCA connections from STB (leaving the yellow one unused) in one end and connect other end of stereo 3.5MM to Bose Wave, sound is coming but mainly in one of the speaker of Bose system. However if I connect the unused RCA to SPDIF at STB side, the sound becomes richer and both the speaker works. Any reason for so?

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi dpsen,

Thanks for the question!  The SPDIF connection is digital audio, so that won't send audio to the Bose system.  Are you able to use a different dual male RCA to 3.5mm stereo male cable?  If the cable you're using also includes a yellow RCA, it's not the best cable to be using for audio.

If you have more questions, please let us know.

Best,

Brandon