VTAT
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 25, 2019

difference between Bose acoustimass 15 and acoustimass 15 Series II?

I have a wonderful Bose Acoustimass 15 Series II in my media room.. Love it.

I am shopping for a system for my upstairs big living room and attached open kitchen with 14 foot ceilings--about a 25ft span that I want the speakers to extend between (overall 40ft span).. I like the huge subwoofer and would like tiny speakers up in the air with my kitchen in the middle of the 25ft span. (That's where we spend our time)

1. I wonder if the Bose Acoustimass System would be good as a three-way system (maybe use the surround somehow) tied to a Denon AVR 2809CI. 
  2. Most importantly, I want to know the difference between the Bose Acoustimass 15 and Acoustimass 15 Series II.

I assume the Bose Acoustimass is original and the Series II came afterward. Would I be happy with a Bose Acoustimass if I already use a Bose Acoustimass Series II in the media room downstairs?

I've found a used Bose Acoustimass system in excellent condition and wonder about the difference between it and the Series II.

Thanks for any insight, opinions, etc. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VTAT
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 25, 2019

Re: difference between Bose acoustimass 15 and acoustimass 15 Series II?

Author Accepted Answer selected by VTAT

Thanks.. I was wondering if there was any difference between the original and the Series II.. Sounds like no discernable difference in the physical product. I appreciate your attention to my questions..

Can you tell me about using the Acoustimass for my upstairs big living room and attached open kitchen with 14 foot ceilings--about a 25ft span that I want the speakers to extend between (40ft span overall).. I like the huge subwoofer and would like satellite speakers up in the air with my kitchen in the middle of the 25ft span. (That's where we spend our time)

I wonder if the Bose Acoustimass System would be good as a three-way system tied to a Denon AVR 2809CI up in the air.

Thanks!

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
VTAT
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 25, 2019

Thanks for the technical specs.. In looking, I don't see much difference. I was hoping for more of a "street-wise" interpretation of the Original vs the Series II.  Any help would be appreciated.

I also had a question about using the Acoustimass for my upstairs big living room and attached open kitchen with 14 foot ceilings--about a 25ft span that I want the speakers to extend between (40ft span overall).. I like the huge subwoofer and would like tiny speakers up in the air with my kitchen in the middle of the 25ft span. (That's where we spend our time)

1. I wonder if the Bose Acoustimass System would be good as a three-way system (maybe use the surround somehow) tied to a Denon AVR 2809CI. 
  2. Most importantly, I was hoping someone could share some experience with the difference between the Bose Acoustimass 15 and Acoustimass 15 Series II.

Thanks for any help!

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

It's just a newer version of the same thing.  Probably no appreciable difference other than looks.  I gave you the specs to see the technical differences.

I doubt anyone would have owned both.

VTAT
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 25, 2019

Author Accepted Answer selected by VTAT

Thanks.. I was wondering if there was any difference between the original and the Series II.. Sounds like no discernable difference in the physical product. I appreciate your attention to my questions..

Can you tell me about using the Acoustimass for my upstairs big living room and attached open kitchen with 14 foot ceilings--about a 25ft span that I want the speakers to extend between (40ft span overall).. I like the huge subwoofer and would like satellite speakers up in the air with my kitchen in the middle of the 25ft span. (That's where we spend our time)

I wonder if the Bose Acoustimass System would be good as a three-way system tied to a Denon AVR 2809CI up in the air.

Thanks!

Thanks

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

You're going to need the Acoustimass module in the same area as the cubes because the cubes carry the high frequency sounds.  The lower frequency sounds for each cube will come out of the Acoustimass module.  I used a similiar arrangement in my family room that is about 14 X 20 with 20 foot ceiling to create a 5.1 surround sound system.  Mine had two Acoustimass modules, 3 cubes connected to one and 2 cubes connected to the other.  I had each Acoustimass module within 6 or 8 feet of it's associated cubes.  I had an Onkyo receiver as the sound source and Klipsch subwoofer for house shaking low's.  It was a killer surround sound system.

EDIT:  One way to find out is move your downstairs system upstairs and give it a try.

VTAT
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 25, 2019

Thanks for the insight about keeping the cubes near the acoustimass.

I did find:

The original:

Powered Acoustimass module is two 5.50-inch (14 cm) woofers

Powered Acoustimass module: 14.0"H x 23.3"W x 7.5"D (35.5 cm x 19.0 cm x 59.0 cm)
33 lb (15 kg) 

Series II

Powered Acoustimass module Series II: Three 5.25-inch (13 cm) woofers

Powered Acoustimass module: 16.3"H x 8.1"W x 29.1"D (41.4 cm x 20.6 cm x 73.9 cm) /

45 lb (20.3 kg)

Thanks for your help!

VTAT
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 25, 2019

PS Just found an unopened Series II in Canada for $720 including shipping. Gonna' put the whole thing above the kitchen with 3 cubes and the subwooferIMG_20170906_162522.jpg

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

The low frequencies are supposed to be non-directional.  You might find that is works OK with the Acoustimass module on the floor in a corner somewhere.  You can purchase wall mounts for the cubes.

EDIT: Or just put the whole thing up on top of your cabinets.

EDIT:  The only issue is going to be all the wires you need to run from your receiver to the Bose Acoustimass module.

VTAT
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 25, 2019

I  am going to try the subwoofer up and try it down before I do a final installation. I am aware that I have to run quite a few cabled to the subwoofer located up and I can do so..

Thanks!