Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samyakmodi
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 21, 2016

iTunes music on Bose Lifestyle 650

Hi,

I have been contemplating buying the Lifestyle 650 system from about a month or so. The omnijewel cube speakers seem unbelievable and the demo videos that The Bose Store has shown are simply amazing. 

There is one slight problem that I faced during the demonstration. When I connected my iPhone to the bose system via bluetooth, the quality wasn't remotely as good. All my music is from iTunes and Apple Music, and I tried playing multiple tracks. There was absolutely no depth in the bass from the system, though clarity was passable. 

Does one have to make some changes on the phone to make it sound good on home theatre via bluetooth? Or does one need to stick to the systems which make your existing collection sound good without breaking the bank?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: Thanks a lot everyone for the guidance. Still trying to...

Author Accepted Answer selected by samyakmodi

@samyakmodi wrote:

Thanks a lot everyone for the guidance. 

Still trying to figure out how to get that "Bose Experience" while listening to music. Unfortunutaely there is very little media that is available with me which can give the experience. I do have some files in FLAC format as well as  DSF format, but unfortunately unable to figure out how to play them. My TV doesn't support them and nor does my PS3.

Any pointers?

While the term “Bose Experience” is marketing jargon, I think you can attain high levels of listening satisfaction using Bose gear.

Using your Bose gear exclusively, there are some good streaming services available to you via SoundTouch. Your LS650 and SoundTouch will do the job quite nicely. You can use your iPhone as your remote to access the SoundTouch offerings. 

As as soon as you turn to something else such as IPhone/iTunes then you are going to have to up the hardware game, a little. I have done that and certainly on the front end, that is the SoundTouch app, speakers and remotes. As a result , I am happy with the “Bose Experience.”

Playing lossless files is a whole different game and doesn’t, in my experience, warrant the work and cost to achieve better sound. Regardless, you will not be able to play lossless files over BlueTooth using your iPhone. You will need a computer hard drive or equivalent. There are other products such  as digital media players (hard drives)that you would then connect to your LS650 via optical or even HDMI depending on the player features. Then there is the matter of getting your Lossless files. That is an adventure in itself. There is usually a cost but there are sites such as RealHD that have a bit of a library.

See my post about supplementing your existing gear using Apple products. Works pretty well. Inserting an a Airport Express into the mix gives you access to your iTunes library, all the streaming services including Apple Music all while using your iPhone if you choose.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
Ryan_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

Re: iTunes music on Bose Lifestyle 650

We understand the concern and appreciate the question. While our retail setup has video demos that are designed to showcase the system within the store environment, that is not an ideal setting for a home theater system. You will indeed notice stronger bass response when playing music over Bluetooth in the home. AdaptIQ calibration will measure the size, shape and reflective surfaces to optimize the audio output. Having said that, there is a bass adjustment for the system should you prefer to enhance the bass after setup. 

samyakmodi
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 21, 2016

So there is a different setup for demo and for actual installation?

If the systems are optimized for a showroom - wouldn't they also play the music via phone according to the adaptiq setup there?
Ryan_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

We apologize for the confusion in the previous response. The store would have applied AdaptIQ as well. While the setup is the same, the environment is different. You'll certainly notice more bass in the home. We are very confident that you'll be happy with the results. 

samyakmodi
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 21, 2016

And how will that happen? 

Correct me if I am wrong but, a demonstration unit should have been calibrated according to the surroundings of the store - right? so playing music there should also be an equally good experience as you are suggesting it would be at my home - right?

problem is that the bose store that I had visited is good 650kms away from my home. The only way I would be able to test the system is - buy it and then test it - which doesn't seem to be a sensible option.

and anyway - considering the bose lifestyle 650 would cost me almost $5800 - I would want to be satisfied with the audio quality in the store first instead of experimenting with it after buying it.

can you offer some other solution?

chaitanyakiranh
Contributor
Registered since

May 6, 2017

I had the same experience when buying at the store..However I bought the system as I am mroe into movies and not songs. I will test itunes today and will keep you posted. For now I can confidently say movies blow away and one can get the best surround experience for sure.

samyakmodi
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 21, 2016

Hi,

Did you get a chance to check with itunes?

Eagerly hoping to hear from your side

DavidSJ
Advocate
Registered since

Aug 31, 2017

I recently bought the Lifestyle 650 system. It is a quality system for both music and movies. However, if you play your music through bluetooth, there is a definite lack of quality in comparison to using the SoundTouch app and playing your music through a service such as spotify. Music is still of a resonable quality, but because bluetooth is NOT a lossless source, it will not sound as good as if you were to use SoundTouch. I put all of my playlists from iTunes on to Spotify, so that I can play my music with an amazing quality through the SoundTouch App. I hope this helps.

samyakmodi
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 21, 2016

Thanks a lot for your kind suggestion. Unfortunately in India Spotify isn't available
Brent_B
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi samyakmodi,

To add-on here, if you have the actual tracks stored in an iTunes library you can add a music library from a computer that can run the SoundTouch app. Adding a music library this way will eliminate any audio degradation that would be introduced with Bluetooth. The procedure to add a music library as a source is HERE. The one caveat to this is that you must have the physical tracks on your computer or NAS drive. Any Apple Music tracks that are streamed from the cloud will not work this way. I hope this helps. 

Thank you