Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swilde5139
Participant
Registered since

Mar 6, 2017

lifestyles 28 and auxiliary dvd/cd player

Hello everyone,

This is a long shot.  I have a Lifestyle's 28 which is probably about 15-18 years old.  The internal dvd/cd player quit working, getting a message "loading disc" which than turns into a message "cannot read disc".  I sent the unit in about 11 months ago, and they cleaned it, and aligned the cd/dvd player, but that is all they could do, because it is so old.  It worked for the last 11 months, and now has quit working again. Now I am told because of the age, there are no parts to repair it.  I do not want to buy a whole new system, especially since I have a second acoustis hooked up to my Lifestyles 28 in another room.  So now, I just have a $4000 radio.  They suggested maybe hooking up a new cd/dvd player, perhaps to the auxilary jacks on the back of the lifestlyes 28.  I have another old piece of equipment, a Sony DVD player.  I would like to hook this up, so perhaps I can play DVD's and CD's through my system.  I am ok with buying a new DVD/CD player, but my guess is with the new connections, it would not hook up to my Lifestyle's 28.  My TV is a Panasonic Th-42 PX60.  Any suggestions to make my exisitng DVD player work, or a new one with my old Lifestyles 28 would be appreciated.  Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: lifestyles 28 and auxiliary dvd/cd player

Hi swilde5139,

Thanks for the post, and sorry to hear about the issues you've been having with your Lifestyle console.

The recommendation in a case like this would be to connect the DVD/Blu Ray player to the TV using an HDMI cable, and an optical cable to your Lifestyle system so you can still get the 5.1 audio to your system.

If you have questions on how to set this up, please let me know!

Best,

Brandon - Bose Support

swilde5139
Participant
Registered since

Mar 6, 2017

Hi Brandon,

Thank you for getting back to me.  It looks like on the back on my Panasonic Th-42 px60 I have two HDMI's. So, it sounds like from the DVD/Blue Ray, connect this to my tv into one of the HDMI's.  I am confused with the optical cable.  Does the optical cable come out of the blue ray player into the input of the Bose or the output of the Bose.  I also have a Comcast cable unit in my mix.

Thank you.

Brian_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi swilde5139,

Thank you for your inquiry. The ideal setup would be to connect an HDMI cable between your DVD/Blu-Ray player and an available HDMI input on your TV. This will allow the Blue-Ray player to send both video and audio to your TV. Then, a digital optical cable should be connected to your TV's digital optical audio output, and to the Lifestyle console's optical input. This will allow the TV to re-route the audio it received from your DVD/Blu-Ray to your Bose system. I hope this helps to provide clarification! Please let us know if you have any additional questions. 

Best regards,

Brian - Bose Support

swilde5139
Participant
Registered since

Mar 6, 2017

samsung HD Blue-ray Player.JPGpanasonic tv.JPGxfinity cable box.PNG

swilde5139
Participant
Registered since

Mar 6, 2017

I just posted diagrams of the back of my tv, the blue-ray dvd player, and my cable box.  I can see where I hook up a HDMI cable from the blue-ray to the back of the tv.  Problem that I cannot figure out, is the optical cable is connected from my cable box, to my Bose Lifestyle 28.  How do I hook up an optical cable from tv to the Bose, or, is it alreay connected beings that Ihave a cable box connected to the t.v.  The other question I have, is with the blue ray player, am I going to be able to listen to my cd's.  Let me know if there is an alternative way to hook up the blue ray to my bose, so I can watch and listen to dvd's on my tv, plus, listen to cd's through the bose.

Thank you.

Brian_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi swilde5139,

Using the images you've provided, I've put together a diagram of what should be the best way to connect everything. Basically, the HDMI connections will send all audio and video to your TV (for your Blu-Ray/DVD player and Cable box). Then, you would connect a single optical cable from the TV to the Bose console. This will re-route all audio through the TV, to the Lifestyle system. 

As for your question about CD audio. Depending on your TV, you may need to have the TV powered on for the CD audio to pass through the TV to the Bose Lifestyle system with this setup. Since your Blu-Ray/DVD player doesn't seem to have any analog (red/white) audio outputs, you wouldn't be able to make a direct connection to the Lifestyle system unless you used an optical cable. But, the only available optical input on the Lifestyle console would already be occupied by the TV's connection. 

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any additional questions!

Regards,

Brian - Bose Support