Highlighted
cheriturn
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 30, 2017

new owner of a Lifestyle 48 system - help!

We just purchased a used Lifestyle 48 series III home theater system which also includes a transmitter set (AL-8) for multi room wireless sound, and an additional speaker - I believe it's called the Lifestyle Roommate?- for a 2nd room. The original owner passed away (hence the sale) and the person selling it to us knows little about setting it up. Everything is there - all cables, manual (even the receipt). The theater system itself is used, but the transmitter and additional speaker has never been out of the box. (Purchased in 2008 new). We want to connect this to our HDTV, and then have the additional room speaker in another part of the house. We can probably figure out the setup - hopefully - by reading the instructions. But I'm looking for any tips - and what all this system can do - it looks pretty amazing. I am aware that since it's a 2008 model, it is old technology (no bluetooth), but with the Bose wireless capability we still should be able to do a lot with this system. Can anyone tell me if we can connect our ROKU streaming stick to this system, in addition to the regular cable and DVD? It appears that I may be missing 1 HDMI slot to connect all 3, but there are component connections that I could use for the cable instead. We are just pretty overwhelmed by all the components and it looks pretty intimidating. So, if anyone has suggestions, or information you're willing to share, please do so! Thank you!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: new owner of a Lifestyle 48 system - help!

Hi cheriturn.

Thanks for sharing the additional information. Great to hear that you have the VS-2 as well! You are correct, the VS-2 can only support HDMI video. For this reason, we'd still recommend connecting at least the ROKU stick directly to your TV, since it does not have a separate audio connection. The cable box can likely be connected to the VS-2 via HDMI. You will also need to connect an audio cable directly from the cable box, to the Lifestyle 48 console. 

Here are some instructions for setting up the VS-2 Video Enhancer. 

Once you have everything up and running with the Lifestyle 48, I would then move on to setting up the AL8 Homewide Wireless Audio Link. This will allow you to wirelessly transmit the Lifestyle 48 audio to your Roommate speaker. 

Instructions for the AL8 can be found HERE.

Best regards,

Brian

Author Accepted Answer selected by cheriturn

Also, in regards to the turntable. You should absolutely be able to use this! Depending on the turntable, you may need to use an additional pre-amplifier. You could connect this to the RCA (red/white) audio inputs on the back of the Lifestyle 48 console. You can choose whichever column you'd like; I'd recommend using the AUX column for a turntable. 

Thanks,

Brian

16 REPLIES 16

Hi cheriturn,

Thanks for the post!  

So it sounds like you have a few devices that you use: a cable box, Roku streaming sick, DVD player.  I'm guessing all of those connect with HDMI?  The LS48 III you've purchased doesn't have HDMI connections, so my recommendation would be to connect all of your devices directly to the television, then run an optical audio (sometimes called TOSLINK) cable from the optical audio out on the back of your TV to the back of the Lifestyle system where it says "Optical In".  

Thanks,

Brandon

cheriturn
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 30, 2017

Well, that sounds like an easier way to set everything up, but I do have a VS2 video enhancer with a couple HDMI ports. The DVD is part of the Lifestyle system (CD/DVD player) & that doesn't have an HDMI port. I do have a cable box with HDMI and the ROKU stick which is HDMI. I think I read somewhere on this site, something about the BOSE HDMI ports don't support sound, and you still need to attach an audio cable - is that correct?

Also we have an old (1990's era) turntable, part of a Fisher stereo system that has a separate amp - I'd like to somehow hook that into this system, but I'm not sure if it's possible. This stereo is the "old fashioned" surround sound system where you use bare-end speaker wire to connect the amp to the individual speakers (right/left/forward/back) without any type of audio cable. Just speaker wire. Anything I can do with that or do I have to purchase a different turntable with a pre-amp to connect to this system, if I wanted that?

I want to make the most use out of this system as I possibly can, considering all that it is capable of.

Hi cheriturn.

Thanks for sharing the additional information. Great to hear that you have the VS-2 as well! You are correct, the VS-2 can only support HDMI video. For this reason, we'd still recommend connecting at least the ROKU stick directly to your TV, since it does not have a separate audio connection. The cable box can likely be connected to the VS-2 via HDMI. You will also need to connect an audio cable directly from the cable box, to the Lifestyle 48 console. 

Here are some instructions for setting up the VS-2 Video Enhancer. 

Once you have everything up and running with the Lifestyle 48, I would then move on to setting up the AL8 Homewide Wireless Audio Link. This will allow you to wirelessly transmit the Lifestyle 48 audio to your Roommate speaker. 

Instructions for the AL8 can be found HERE.

Best regards,

Brian

Author Accepted Answer selected by cheriturn

Also, in regards to the turntable. You should absolutely be able to use this! Depending on the turntable, you may need to use an additional pre-amplifier. You could connect this to the RCA (red/white) audio inputs on the back of the Lifestyle 48 console. You can choose whichever column you'd like; I'd recommend using the AUX column for a turntable. 

Thanks,

Brian

cheriturn
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 30, 2017

I'm not sure if anyone will see this question or not, since I accepted  a solution, so I might have to start a new thread. We worked last night on setting the Lifestyle system up. I have picture, but no sound at all. I used audio cables to connect the cable box and the TV to the Lifestyle system, with HDMI cords running from the Cable box to VS2 and HDMI running from TV output on the VS2 to the TV. 

How do I know the Acoustimass is working? Everything is plugged in, but there is no light on the Acoustimass (and I'm not sure it there is supposed to be) I've checked and double checked all my connections - seems like all is connected according to directions but I have no sound. At all.

I tried plugging some speakers into the Lifestyle media center directly - and I got sound (not good sound, but sound). So it appears that there is a problem with the Acoustimass. Without that, this system is junk. Did I just spend $ on a huge paperweight? 

Hi cheriturn,

Glad to hear the video is working with the VS2! I'm sorry that you are now experiencing audio issues. If everything is in working condition, we should be able to get this up and running. Since we've had a few different models of the Lifestyle 48 in the past, and their control consoles and Acoustimass modules are slightly different; could you please provide us with the serial number from each unit (the control console and Acoustimass module)? This will help to make sure that we are taking the right troubleshooting steps for your particular system. The serial numbers should be located on the back or bottom of both units. 

Thank you!

Brian

cheriturn
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 30, 2017

Oh dear - I thought I deleted that question! I did figure out the Acoustimass. I went through again and re-checked every single cable, and when i re-connected the cable going from the Acoustimass to the Media Center, it all started working! (Must not have been completely pushed into the receptacle before)

BUT - now I have another issue, which I also  posted in a new thread. Back to video and the VS-2 enhancer. Everything was working fine until my husband tried to watch ESPN2, via our cable provider. For some reason, the picture keeps going out, and the TV has a message 'searching for signals'. ONLY the ESPN2 channel - didn't find any others with issues, as far as what we regularly watch. But it isn't the 'signal' from the cable provider because the sound did not go out. So I bypassed the VS-2 and just plugged the HDMI directly from cable box to TV, as it was before the BOSE system. ESPN works just fine now. I'm wondering if there is even a need for the VS-2, or any reason I'd want to use it.

That's great to hear you got everything working! In regards to the video issue with ESPN, do you happen to have a 4K TV, or cable/satellite box that supports 4K video? Since the issue was isolated to this channel only, it makes me think that the channel was broadcasting in 4K video for a particular sporting event or show. As the Lifestyle 48 and VS-2 are older, they will not be able to accommodate these higher HD video resolutions (anything above 1080p). If you do have a 4K TV and devices, I would agree and recommend not using the VS-2. Connecting directly to the TV will allow you to get the best picture quality. You can run separate audio cables to the Lifestyle 48 console to keep getting audio from the Bose speakers.   

Thank you!

Brian

cheriturn
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 30, 2017

I have neither a 4K TV or cable box. It is Hi Def, but just 1080p.