Brian_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: new owner of a Lifestyle 48 system - help!

Thanks for the additional info cheriturn. If 4K isn't the issue, we can try adjusting some video resolution settings within the Lifestyle 48's System and Settings menus. 

First, we can try toggling between "Fixed" and "Adjustable"  video resolution settings, to see if this helps at all. To do so:

1. In the System menu, set Video Resolution to Adjustable or Fixed by following these steps:
    1. Be sure the TV is on with the correct input selected
    2. Press the System button on the remote
    3. Press the right arrow on the remote to select the “Video” icon
    4. Press the down arrow repeatedly until “Video Resolution” is highlighted
    5. Press the right arrow to highlight the current option
    6. Press the up or down arrows to select the appropriate setting:
      1. Fixed – Prohibits any change to video resolution. When selected, Video Resolution is not available in the Settings menu
      2. Adjustable – Allows the user to select the resolution sent to the TV from the VS-2 via HDMI in the Settings menu
    7. Press the Exit button to exit the System menu

Try both settings, to see if there is any change. If not, we can also make sure the video resolution is set to 1080p. Here are the steps:

• From the on-screen menu
      1. Be sure the TV is on with the correct input selected
      2. Select a source other than FM/AM, or CD/DVD
      3. Press the Settings button
      4. Press the down arrow until Video Resolution is highlighted
      5. Press the right arrow to highlight the current setting
      6. Press the up or down arrows on the remote to select the appropriate setting:
        • 480/576p (lowest quality)
        • 720p
        • 1080i
        • 1080p (highest quality)
      7. Press the Exit button to exit the Settings menu

Let us know if this helps at all!

Brian

cheriturn
Participant
Registered since

Jun 30, 2017

Nope, that didn't work either. I tried both fixed and adjustable in the video settings, still getting a black screen that comes up every few seconds. There is no 'searching for signals' message any more, but each time the screen flips to black, the TV info in the corner also displays - this is where it gives you the input info & time set on the TV.

I also tried changing the resolution of the screen in settings. It was set at 1080, I also tried the 720 and 480/576 resolution. Nothing made any difference. 

I checked various channels. Oddly, it is only the sports channels this is affecting. Not just ESPN, but also Fox sports and Big Ten. I looked at the non-HD local channels, and those are not effected either.The black screen occurs on both the HD and non-HD channels, as well (sports only). 

cheriturn
Participant
Registered since

Jun 30, 2017

Well, as long as I have everything going and am not using the VS-2, I've decided to shelve that accessory that I probably don't need anyway. Now to my next frustration. I have the BOSE lifestyle all set up and working pretty well, so I tried setting up the transmitters and the Roommate wireless system. No dice. The transmitters won't connect - probably WIFI interference, but I'm not sure - too technical for me to mess with that. So I tried connecting the roommate via the 50' cable that was supplied. The Roommate still doesn't work. I can tell there's power, as I can hear a rhythmic 'thump', or click, hard to describe. the Personal Music system (remote) that came with it, seems to work to control the main system, but not the Roommate (I know about the settings for switching between controlling the media center and the roommate.) Starting to think I should just be satisfied with the Bose speaker & the media center and can the rest. 😞 I know it's old technology, but it should still work. By the way - the transmitters and the Roommate system had never been out of the box until I opened them up. So no idea if they were bad to begin with.

cheriturn
Participant
Registered since

Jun 30, 2017

Crickets???

Brian_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi cheriturn,

I apologize for the delayed response. I'm sorry to hear that you are still having video issues with sports channels. It is certainly strange that this seems to only be happening on sports channels, regardless of the video resolution. Since this is an older system, my guess is that there is a High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) incompatibility happening. The particular broadcast may be requiring a newer protocol that the VS-2 does not support. Either way, after the troubleshooting you have tried, I'd have to agree that at this point, the best solution would be to connect HDMI directly to your TV. 

As for the AL8/AR1 transmitter-receiver expansion, we should be able to get this working, especially if the kit is brand new! Please try the following setup steps. If you encounter any issues, please let me know where the issues occurred. 

Connections: 

1. Connect a Bose link A cable to the Bose link connection on the media center connection panel.
  2. Connect the Bose link cable to the Bose link Input connection on the back of the AL8 Transmitter
  3. Connect a Bose link A cable to the Bose link Output connection on the back of the AR1 Receiver
  4. Connect the Bose link cable to the Bose link connection on the back of the Lifestyle Roommate
  5. Be sure the external device is properly connected and powered

Wireless Settings: AL8

1. Be sure the Transmitter and Receiver setup switches are in identical positions
  2. Connect the Transmitter and Receiver to power outlets
  3. When the units are powered, solid green LEDs on both Transmitter and Receiver indicate a signal is being transmitted

Considerations for positioning:

1. Place each unit upright on a level surface such a floor, table or shelf. Be sure each unit is stable with all feet flat on the surface
  2. Do not tip either unit on its side
  3. Place each unit within 7 feet (2 meters) of the connected device
  4. Keep the units within 80 feet (24 meters) of each other
  5. Be aware that the strongest signal direction is above and around, not below, the transmitter

Media Center Settings:

1. Turn the TV on and select the correct TV input
  2. Press the System button on the Main room remote
  3. Highlight the Audio icon
  4. Press the down arrow to scroll to the Expansion Protocol option
  5. Press the right arrow to highlight the options column
  6. Press the up or down arrow to select Bose link
  7. Press the Exit button to leave the System menu
  8. Turn the system off to allow the changes to take effect

RoomMate Settings:

1. Set switches 6, 7, 8 and 9 to an unused Room Code. The default setting is room 1 - 6 up and 7, 8 and 9 down
  2. If any switch settings are changed, disconnect the power and Boselink connections from the RoomMate for two minutes to allow the changes to take effect.

PMCII Expansion Remote Settings:

1. Press the Setup button on the Personal Music Center II (PMCII)
  2. Use the Toggle button to highlight the Room Code option. Press the right arrow button
  3. Highlight the Room Code that matches the room code of the RoomMate switches (6,7, and 😎 and press the Toggle button to select it
  4. Highlight the Audio Stream option and press the right arrow button
  5. Highlight the Audio Stream "2" and press the Toggle button to select it
  6. Be sure House Code setting matches the position of switches 1-4 under the battery cover on the main room remote
  7. Press the left arrow button to exit the Setup menu

Try these setup setps, and let us know how it goes! 

Thank you,

Brian

cheriturn
Participant
Registered since

Jun 30, 2017

Sorry for the delay - now I've been busy. Finally got back to this project. I went through all the steps you recommended. This is exactly what I did in my initial setup. 

Issue #1 - Transmitter/Receiver AL8 system - the wireless connection works sporadically. When I powered the transmitter & receiver, it blinked green for a bit, then green solid, so it connected. However, after a few minutes, or seconds, the light starts blinking green again, and then eventually goes orange - no connection. As I said before, I have WiFi in my house and I suspect that this it causing interference. I don't know how to switch or change channels or frequencies on my wifi. or am afraid to do so for fear of messing up my other connections - internet, roku, etc.  

I can pull the power from the units,and replug in, and it will reconnect and give me a solid green light, but only for a short time. Then it searches again (blinking green) and eventually goes orange. Over and over and over. And for testing purposes, the receiver and transmitter are currently in the same room, only about 15 feet apart.

Issue #2 - Lifestyle roommate. Even when there is a connection between transmitters, I cannot get the Roommate to work. As I stated before, I hear a low thumping, or clicking sound - actually sounds more like a 'clunk' I guess - hard to describe. It's very rhymic and steady - almost like a clock ticking. I can't get any other sound, I can get nothing to play, but the PMCII is working - I tried 'stored music', and on the display on the PMCII, it showed a song supposedly playing. But nothing on the Roommate except that clunking sound. The Media Center Expansion protocol is set to Bose link, the switches on the transmitter and receiver match in settings. The 'house code' on the PMCII is set to 0, and the switches on the PMCII and the Roommate match - 1 up, 2, 3, 4 down. I unplugged the wireless, and plugged directly into the Bose Link output on the Media center via a Bose Link cable. Same issue. 

I even tried plugging my phone (music player) into the Aux input on the roommate to see if it would play that - selected 'local' on the PMCII and still nothing.

A couple points I'm not sure of in your instructions - in RoomMate Settings:  

1. "Set switches 6, 7, 8 and 9 to an unused Room Code. The default setting is room 1 - 6 up and 7, 8 and 9 down" -  My switches are only 1 2 3 4. 1 is up, 234 are down. I don't know what switches 6 7 8 9 are.     And in PMCII Expansion Remote Settings: 6) Be sure House Code setting matches the position of switches 1-4 under the battery cover on the main room remote    I am unsure of this - the house code on the PMCII is 0. The switches under the battery cover on the remote - now HERE there are 9 switches - and they all appear to be down.

If I change the PMCII to Audio Stream 1, I can control the Media Center - so it seems that the PMCII is set up and working properly. But, I just don't feel that the PMCII is actually controlling the Roommate.

And, I am really close to giving up on all this. And very disappointed.

Brian_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hello Cheriturn,

I'm sorry to hear that this expansion setup still isn't fully working for you. For the AL8/AR1 transmitter and receiver; this could likely be wireless interference. Before attempting to change any Wi-Fi router settings, I'd recommend temporarily disconnecting your router from power. This way you can test to see if the connection lights stay solid green on the AL8 and AR1. If they do, then we know the router is causing interference. If not, there could be another problem. 

For the Lifestyle Roommate speaker; are you using the original Bose power supply for this speaker? This type of cycling 'click' or 'thump' sound is usually a sign of improper power to the system. If you are sure the proper power supply is being used, I'd say the speaker likely needs service, especially since this issue was happening when trying to use an AUX source connected directly to the speaker. 

Everything else that you described tells me that you are properly set up. I apologize for the confusion in labeling the switches on the Roommate. You are correct, there are 4 switches. The default setting is the first switch up, the remaining 3 are down. 

To best assist with further troubleshooting and/or service options, I'd recommend reaching out to your regional Bose Technical Support Team, directly by phone. Regional contact info can be found here

Best regards,

Brian