mgbaxter1981
Participant
Registered since

May 18, 2021

500 Module making popping sound

I have recently purchased the Bose 700 soundbar with 500 module, but the module makes a strange popping sound sporadically. There is no pattern in terms of when it occurs or what kind of programme you are watching.

I’ve tried numerous troubleshooting ideas but the issue persists. I have raised this with Bose via WhatsApp but this route has proved pretty useless in terms of customer service.

I am tempted to return the module (it’s within the returns period) & exchange it for the more expensive 700 module?

Any thoughts on this and/or the issue would be much appreciated, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Charlotte43
Participant
Registered since

Nov 24, 2020

Re: 500 Module making popping sound

Author Accepted Answer selected by mgbaxter1981

When you state that you rebooted the system, was this following these reset steps below: Disconnect the power cord from the bass module for 30 seconds. After reconnecting power, wait 15 seconds for the bass module reconnect to your system.

IndigoCard Login

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Jessie_O

Hey mgbaxter1981, 

Thank you for your post and welcome! 

I'm sorry to hear that your Bass Module 500 is having some popping sounds. I'll be happy to help! 

Can you tell me the troubleshooting steps you have tried so we do not go round in circles? 

Popping noise on the bass module may be due to some interference in your listening space. Do you have any electricals close by?

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
mgbaxter1981
Participant
Registered since

May 18, 2021

Hi & thanks for the reply.

What I have tried so far is:

- Use an alternative power source

- Turn the unit off overnight

- Unpair the unit before reconnecting 

- Ensure no other electrical units are near the module.

If the popping is due to interference, I find this very disappointing as I had a wireless Samsung sub prior to this purchase (in the same spot of the room) & never experienced this issue.

Thanks again for any further advice.

Hector_B

Thanks for updating us on this mgbaxter1981, 

I'd recommend that we use a wired connection with the Bass Module to see if the same popping issue occurs. To obtain the connection cable please give us a call via the Contact Us page here

Please can you let us know if the same issue occurs when locating the Bass Module in a different location? 

We look forward to hearing back from you with further information on this. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Charlotte43
Participant
Registered since

Nov 24, 2020

Author Accepted Answer selected by mgbaxter1981

When you state that you rebooted the system, was this following these reset steps below: Disconnect the power cord from the bass module for 30 seconds. After reconnecting power, wait 15 seconds for the bass module reconnect to your system.

IndigoCard Login

View solution in original post

mgbaxter1981
Participant
Registered since

May 18, 2021

Thanks for your tip, I have done that & also disconnected it overnight before repairing.

I’ve never had an issue like this with anything else I have which are wireless.

JayTheLoh
Participant
Registered since

Jun 9, 2021

Same here. I bought the Smart Soundbar 300 + Bass Module 500 around the same time as you. Soon, I noticed that same random, irregular popping sound that you've been experiencing. I knew it's some sort of interference, but not sure if it's wireless or electrical. Then FINALLY, I'm able to reproduce that problem - it happened when I ran the Speedtest (www.speedtest.net). The popping sound was IMMEDIATELY heard. So conclusion: it's wireless interference, AND it's a product flaw. Even my old 5-year-old Sony subwoofer never have this issue.

I don't want to settle with a cable, which defeats the purpose of having a wireless system, so here's what I did. I went to my router (I'm using TP-Link AX5400 btw),

On the 2.4GHz, set
Channel Width: 20Mhz, 
Channel: 9

On 5GHz, set
Channel Width: 80Mhz
Channel: 48
(if your router supports DFS channels (50-144), you can try those as well. They worked. But see if your other devices function as normal)

My Bose Soundbar 300 connects to either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz, then I ran the same Speedtest to reproduce the popping sound, and it's gone now. If you notice your Internet speed drops, after changing the settings, do try others channels. It's a lot of trial and error. Good luck mate.