Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 12, 2020

AV18

I have an old Bose system AV18 and want to connect it to my new Samsung 4K tv. I have Xfinity which is connected with an HDMI cable. How can I connect the Bose to my tv. I don't want to get rid of it. This device was rarely used. Has been unplugged for years. Thanks for your assistance,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 23, 2020

Re: AV18

Author Accepted Answer selected by tuckeret

I just went through the exact situation. Bought a new Samsung 4K OLED tv with Xfinity cable and Lifestyle AV18. Found the tv only had HDMI and Optical/bluetooth hookup for audio. If you use the Optical hookup on the tv and connect to the Optical port on the AV18 you can get it to work. The problem is, the optical port on the AV18 is NOT enabled. You have to enable it through on-screen programing on the tv. I had to hook the AV18 up to my old tv and select the "system" button on the Bose remote, Go to "Media Console" and turn on the Optical port. The TV recognized the Bose unit after that and it worked.

You will lose some functionality with the Bose unit, but the speakers play and it beats scrapping the unit. Hope this help you.....

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I would sell your Bose AV18 on eBay and purchase a modern device that is compatible with your TV.  You might find some adapters on Amazon to make it work, but I don't think it will function very well.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 23, 2020

Author Accepted Answer selected by tuckeret

I just went through the exact situation. Bought a new Samsung 4K OLED tv with Xfinity cable and Lifestyle AV18. Found the tv only had HDMI and Optical/bluetooth hookup for audio. If you use the Optical hookup on the tv and connect to the Optical port on the AV18 you can get it to work. The problem is, the optical port on the AV18 is NOT enabled. You have to enable it through on-screen programing on the tv. I had to hook the AV18 up to my old tv and select the "system" button on the Bose remote, Go to "Media Console" and turn on the Optical port. The TV recognized the Bose unit after that and it worked.

You will lose some functionality with the Bose unit, but the speakers play and it beats scrapping the unit. Hope this help you.....

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Regardless, I would not scrap the unit.  It would have some value on eBay.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 12, 2020

Sorry to respond so late, but it worked. Thanks