Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 30, 2019

AV35 problems - how to replace if necessary?

My mother has a Bose AV35 Control Console hooked up to an Acoustimass (model unknown) / speaker system. Dad put the wiring through the walls. Mom is now getting a message that the Acoustimass may not be properly connected or may not have power. I have checked all connections and everything looks fine. I have unplugged power to control console for 30 seconds then restarted. Problem persists.

First question: Is there a way to tell if the problem is with the control console or the Acoustimass?

Second question: Is there a replacement for either that uses the same wire (from control console to acoustimass) as the AV35 system so that I don't have to replace the in-the-wall wiring?

Thanks in advance,

David

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Re: AV35 problems - how to replace if necessary?

Hi @dlhoward, and welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you're having and would be happy to point you in the right direction!

If you have already re-seated all the cables, we would likely be advising that you get a replacement audio input cable for this system!

So in answer to both of your questions, I would advise that you get in touch with Bose Support in your local country/region. The part you're looking for is the Audio Input cable, which is a Male 9-pin Mini-DIN to Male 9-pin Mini-DIN.

You can do this by clicking HERE, selecting your country/region, and navigating to "Contact Us" at the bottom of the page.

I hope this helps, and please get in touch soon!

Liam W - Community Support

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 30, 2019

Hi Liam,

Thanks for the reply. We bought a replacement cable, but that didn't fix the problem. So I guess that there's an issue with either the acoustimass (PS 48 series III) or the control console (av35). Is there a set of diagnostic steps that would help me ascertain which one is the problem?

I'm guessing that my options are 1) ship the console or subwoofer or both to Bose for repair, 2) try to replace the offending part with a used replacement, or 3) replace the system with a different receiver, hopefully preserving the five speakers since they're wired through the walls. Other ideas?

Thanks,

David

Highlighted

Hi David, 

Thank you for coming back to us and updating the situation. 

I'm sorry to hear the replacement cable has not resolved your issue. 

Unfortunately, there is no guaranteed way to determine which part of the system is causing your issue. From experience, I'd be inclined to lean more towards the Acoustimass but it could be either. 

At this point, I would look into a repair. We do not normally recommend replacing parts of the unit with second-hand replacements. This is only because there is no guarantee that they will work nor how long they will last for. As for a replacement system, our systems use very standard speaker cable so if your parents decide to have a different system installed, they shouldn't have to replace the in-wall wiring. 

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions or concerns, please reach out again. 

Kindest, 

Jessie O 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 6, 2020

Hi David

Any update for your issue ? I have the same issue with av35 ? 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 30, 2019

Hi danggiao1973,

We just replaced the Bose. The cost to ship the parts to Bose for them to evaluate was too high. And there was no guarantee that things would get fixed. So we replaced the Bose with a different amp and spliced wires so that the installed speakers would continue to work.

Thanks,

David

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 2, 2020

Hi David,

I have the same issue and would like to keep and use my Bose speakers that were hardwired when I built our house.  But my AV35 console needs to be replaced.  I want to use a different (name brand) A/V receiver. 

I can not figure out how to convert the Bose speaker wire to RCA L/R for each speaker.  The Bose speaker wires currently connect to the back of the subwoofer, then a 9 pin Din cable runs to the Bose AV35 console.  Of course this will not work on another receiver.

Can you help and tell me how to adapt the Bose speaker wires to RCA L/R so that I can continue to use them?  How to also connect the Bose subwoofer to another receiver?

Lastly, if you don't mind, what different receiver did you get?

Thank you,

Steve