Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 29, 2020

AV38 console with remote and HDMI video enhancer

I have just purchased a second hand AV38 console with remote and HDMI video enhancer to upgrade my ageing LS28 so I have the music storage option. I was told my existing PS28 Subwoofer (with the 8 pin din and square Subwoofer connector) would be compatible and indeed, it appears to works fine and even updated when I ran the 05.01.08 Firmware DVD. My questions are:

- would it make any difference if I purchased an PS48 III or PS28 III Subwoofer with the 9 pin connector?

- Is there a preference between the 28 or the 48 for my system?

- what is the 9th. wire used for?

Many thanks in advance

Alex

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: AV38 console with remote and HDMI video enhancer

Hey there!

The LS28 system is designed to be used with the PS28 subwoofer that you currently have, but that's under the pretense you're using the AV28 console. As you're using the AV38 console, this has the option to connect the LSPS (III) Acoustimass. In you're situation you've managed to connect the PS28 which is great so you're more than welcome to try the PS48 if the connection looks correct but as you're mixing and matching units I cannot guarantee complete success. But I'd be intrigued to know how things go for you!

Also, what are you referring to when you say the 9th wire?

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 29, 2020

Thanks and in response:

My AV38 and LS28 with the network (Square) connector and Jewel Speakers appears to work very well, no complaints.

With regards to the 9th wire. My old LS28 had 8 pins in the mini DIN connector on the back of the LS28 head unit and 8 connections at the LS28 Accoustimass end. The AV38 however, has a 9 pin mini DIN and I understand, the BOSE supplied cable between the AV38 and the originally supplied AV38 and 48 has a nine pin mini DIN at each end. My query is, why 9 pins? What does the 9th pin do when mine works quite happily with 8? Is there any adcantage in purchasing the later Accoustimass and using the 9 pin connection?

Many thanks

Highlighted

Hi Tenderah,

The difference between the 8 and 9 pin cables is in the amount of data that can be carried and how it can be used. You won't notice any difference with your bass module though, as these changes were made for use when using multiple rooms with the console. The bass module connection was changed to a 9 pin, so you wouldn't need 2 different types of very similar cable to set up the system.

The 8-pin cables only have two pairs audio signals,  neither of which could be used at the same time so they shared the same audio ground. The 9-pin cables are for BoseLink accessories which support two different streams of audio. The ninth pin is so the two audio streams have their own separate ground allowing you to use the streams independently.

As there is only a difference when using multiple audio signals, you won't see an advantage changing out the bass module to one with a 9 pin connector.

I hope this helps!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!