Highlighted
Fin1hms
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 14, 2019

AV48 to Roku projector no sound

I’m super ‘not technical’ and trying to get a Roku To work with my old AV48. I’m not getting any sound (the picture is great!). The AV 48 obviously doesn’t have any HDMI cable so I have the Roku plugged directly into the projector in the home theater.

Do I need an additional cable to get the sound to work or am I going to have to somehow hook up the Roku directly to the AV48? Thanks in advance for any help!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: AV48 to Roku projector no sound

Hello Fin1hms,

Thanks for posting this thread and welcome to the Community! 

You will be able to use the Lifestyle system with Roku on the projector, how you do this will be dependant on the outputs that your projector has. What you need to do is connect the Roku to the projector then connect the projector to the AV48 console via optical, if your Roku has 4k compatibility but the AV48 does not so this way get you the best picture and sound. However, if your projector does not have an optical digital output then I recommend that you look into third-party analog to digital adapter. 

I would also encourage other Community members to share their ideas with you, so you can get the best set up for you.

I hope this helps, should you have any other questions then please get in touch. 

Have a lovely day!

Kindest regards,

Zoe C - Community Support 

Fin1hms
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 14, 2019

Thank you for the quick response!

It’s connected to the Bose with a red green and blue cable. 

I tried all the options on the remote (I thought maybe AUX) but no sound. 

So I would need to buy something called an optical instead?

the systems been here quite a while. Runs through the ceiling and down a wall. 

466DC2CD-93E8-43D4-982E-3D993554236A.jpegF2FB1E28-4BCD-4FEC-94C0-5041860E5F18.jpeg

Hello Fin1hms,

Thanks for getting back to me and sending those photos over they are super helpful. Using the connections you have, it is going to be a tricky setup and it might not work, however, we can give it a go!

Picture.jfif

I recommend that you use the HMDI input for your Roku, then you should use the S-Video connection (Directly to the right of the green cable) on the Projector to connect with to the AV48. For sound, you should use the green, blue and red cable you are using to connect to the audio out on the AV48. This will be a vertical trio with Left, Right and Digital top to bottom inputs.

This may or may not work, it is the best suggestion I can offer as the two systems are not readily compatible. For this reason, I would really like to hear what ideas other Community members have.

I hope this works, let me know how you get on!

Kindest regards,

Zoe C 

Fin1hms
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 14, 2019

This is the way it is now-without the sound of course!

would there be something I could’ve use to convert the hdmi to plug into the Bose?  Would that be easier than running another cable through the ceiling?74D8A8C8-BDA9-43C3-8DA0-B8B372462E3F.jpeg3E7A1B3E-3414-4B1B-99F2-48304D14732D.jpeg

Xyz987
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I can't make heads or tails of those pictures because I don't know which device is which.  You obviously have to figure out how to get video from your Roku to your projector and audio from your Roku to your Bose.  There are possibly multiple ways to do this depending on the in's and out's of each device. 

I think your Bose system also includes a DVD player, so if it does and you want to use it, you need to get video from your Bose to your projector.

I would try to send the Roku video and audio to the Bose, then send video from the Bose to the projector.  Look for common video and audio out from the Roku to video and audio in on the Bose.  Then, all you need is a common video out from the Bose to video in on the projector.

I would try to avoid S-video.  I think it is probably your lowest quality.

If you can't get it to work this way, then try video out from your Roku to video in on your projector.  Then you need audio out from the Roku to your Bose.  That might be an optical cable.  The problem with this is you can't use your DVD player.

Or, similarly, you might do video and audio out from your Roku to video and audio in on your projector, then, audio out from your projector to audio in on your Bose.  Again, you could not use your DVD player.

Hello Fin1hms,

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

That's a shame that this method has not worked. The only other option that I can recommend, would be to get an analog to digital converting adapter to try to use the HDMI on the Projector to connect to Lifestyle's optical connection. You then will be able to connect the Roku to the Projector. Again, this is not guaranteed to work.

I hope this helps, should you have any further questions please get in touch.

Kindest regards,

Zoe C

Fin1hms
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 14, 2019

Wanted to post what finally worked! Ran the red blue and green wires to the projector from this box and then ran audio red and white to the Bose.

thanks for everyone’s help!E1F81D43-7650-46E9-8C52-34DCF55EDA4A.jpeg