Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 26, 2020

Accousticmass 5 distorted sound

Hi, Im Chris and new to this community. I found my old AM5 system and I was hooking them up with Cambridge A300 amp and the sound from left cube is very fuzzy and distorted at medium volume. Right cube is a little bit fuzzy but much better than the left. I tried to reconnect the cubes, no effect. Tried to swap the cubes, it was always the left one that sounded worse. Tried to connect the cubes directly to receiver (out of curiousity for 5 mins) and they sounded wholesome, no fuzzy, crystal clear.

My suspicion is on the bass module "crossover" since the cubes are all clear when connected directly to receiver.

So I brought them to bose authorize service center and the guy there said there is nothing wrong with my AM5 bass module. They hook my bass module with bose PM amps, another AM5 cube there, and they sounded normal.

Back home, hook them up with the Cambridge receiver and the problem still there. Tried to connect other speaker to the cambridge and all sounded nice. Anyone have idea what is happening with my AM5 system?

Appreciated for any input and sorry for the long post.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Accousticmass 5 distorted sound

Hey @Doenzz,

That does sound quite odd, especially since your system was tested and the service center.

Have you considered changing the plug socket that you have the bass module plugged into, just in case there may be interference causing the audio issues? If you're using an extension power strip, other devices in that strip could be causing this.

I think that'd be the first step to take - do let me know if you notice any improvement!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 26, 2020

Re: Accousticmass 5 distorted sound

Hi Sam,

Thanks for sharing the idea.

I did try to change the power source from power strip to the wall outlet. So far the problem persist.

I will try to test with another receiver to see whether the problem lies on the crossover, or the receiver end. The bose service center is very helpful and let me bring all of my system to test there. Unfortunately there wasnt any AM5 unit for comparison so we still havent figured out the culprit behind this fuzzy sound. Anyway after I try with other receiver, I'll let you know the result.

Chris