Highlighted
TVDad
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Oct 25, 2019

Advice for 4K Soundbar and speakers?

I’d like to get a Bose soundbar that will work with my 4K TV and 4K Blu Ray player. I’d also like to put wireless speakers around the house so that I can listen to music from my phone through the soundbar and the speakers (which could be in a different room). Subwoofer is a plus if the system comes with it. 

23 REPLIES 23
Xyz987
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Advice for 4K Soundbar and speakers?

4K doesn't have anything to do with it.  Most soundbars work with modern, current model TV's.  The Bose 700 is a 5.1 Dolby surround sound system if you add the rear surround speakers and subwoofer.  Bose does not offer a Dolby Atmos system.  That would be a sound system with 5.1 or 7.1 ear-level speakers plus 2 or 4 overhead speakers.

I believe the Bose Music app will play music to certain Bose stand-alone speakers placed throughout you house.  You can search for Bose speakers to read the capabilities of each.

TVDad
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Oct 25, 2019

Thanks for the response. 

If 4K isn’t an audio thing, why do some soundbars call themselves “4K pass through”?

Are you saying I’d have to get the soundbar system and then a separate pair of speakers that work on their own?

Morlock
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

The 4K is only about what type of HDMI they use.  The Bose however are purely inputs.  So any 4K source plugs into the (hopefully 4K) TV and then the sound goes through to the Soundbar which has nothing to do with 4K.  Some other soundbars have multiple inputs + an output to the TV so those are the ones that can have sound going to the Bar and 4K passthrough to the TV.

So the Bose soundbar setup for the home theatre is maxed out at Soundbar, Bass module (max of 2), and surround speakers (1 pair).  You can then add any of their Smart speakers (not SoundTouch) to other rooms/zones

TVDad
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Oct 25, 2019

So do you think the Bose system meets the needs I mentioned? Which system?

And then which speakers would I buy for the second zone?

Thank you for the help. 

Xyz987
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

No, it just depends on how your hook it up.  I recommend you connect all of your devices to your TV HDMI connections.  Then, connect your soundbar to your TV HDMI ARC and the soundbar HDMI ARC.

In my opinion, there is no reason to connect any external devices to your soundbar.  For instance, it is possible to connect a DVD player or Roku, etc. to your soundbar and "pass-through" the video to your TV.  If you do it this way, then 4K is an issue.  There is no reason to do it this way with a modern TV that has plenty of HDMI connections.

Xyz987
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

If you're sure it is a soundbar you want, take a look at the Bose Soundbar 700.  If you want a full 5.1 surround sound experience, get the Bose rear surround speakers and Bose 700 sub-woofer.  I would not worry about other zones, etc. until you get this up and running and make sure you like it, etc.

On the other hand, if you're not set on a soundbar, look at the Bose Lifestyle 650 system.  Another option, and the one I recommend, is a 3rd party Dolby Atmos receiver and a Bose Acoustimass 10 speaker system.  That would give you 5 double cubes and a subwoofer for a 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound system.  You can then add additional overhead speakers for a 5.1.2 (or more) Dolby Atmos system.

But, to answer your original question, you probably want a Bose Soundbar 700 with rear surround speakers and Bose Acoustimass module.  Then, I think a Bose Home Speaker 500 for every other room where you want to play music wirelessly.

TVDad
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Oct 25, 2019

Is there a disadvantage to this set up or is it the same as using the 4K pass through method?

So everything connects to the TV like I have it and the sound bar connects to the TV’s HDMI ARC slot?

Xyz987
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

If you have a modern TV with plenty of HDMI connections, I don't see any disadvantage to plugging all your devices directly into your TV.  Then, send sound to your Bose using HDMI ARC.

I guess if you had some sort of music player or streaming device that you want to play with the TV turned off, you could connect it directly to your soundbar HDMI if the Bose Soundbar 700 has that feature.

I think having everything going through the TV seems to work better sometimes.  You are also not trying to switch inputs on the Bose that can sometimes get tricky.  It's easy to switch inputs on your TV.

Xyz987
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Also, if you get the Bose Soundbar 700, you will have two choices for the rear surround speakers.  You can get the less expensive Bose rear surround speakers or these more expensive omni direction speakers:

https://community.bose.com/t5/News-and-Announcements/Bose-New-Product-Surround-Speakers-700/ba-p/213...