Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 14, 2020

Apple TV Sound

I have a Lifestyle 535/525 Series III home entertainment system connected to a Sony TV Model

KDL 65W890A. I have an original Apple TV. I have connected according to directions and also according to a piece of advice on this site. I can get video but not sound.  I have been given to understand that I need series 4 Apple TV for sound to work on this Bose system. Can anybody confirm that?

Arkell

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Apple TV Sound

Hi Arkell,

Welcome! Thank you for posting and joining the community! I know of no reason why you would need a series 4 Apple TV to get sound from your Lifestyle system so I am sure we can get this working!

As you mentioned using some advice from the community to get this connected, how do you have the Apple TV and Lifestyle set up with your TV?

Also, where did you find the information that led you to believe that you would need a series 4 Apple TV for this to work? Could you provide a link so I can see the reason they think this?

The first thing I would recommend checking is the audio format being used on your Apple TV, as the Lifestyle supports PCM 5.1, Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS Master Audio, you would want to make sure your Apple TV is using one of those formats if possible.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 14, 2020

I checked the audio format. I read somewhere else, (sorry can not remember where.) that I should turn off Dolby Digital on my apple TV settings. I did that and it did not make any difference. After I received your reply I switched it on again, but it did not give me sound. That was the only format information in the settings menu?

Arkell

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Do you have HDMI from your Apple TV to your TV?  Are you able to hear audio from your TV playing on your Bose sound system?  If so, then it should be as simple as using your TV switching to choose the Apple TV as your source to see and hear the Apple TV.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 14, 2020

My standard TV is plugged in to HDMI 2 and my Apple TV is plugged in to HDMI 1. I get sound fine when just watching normal TV. When I want to go to Apple TV I go to inputs and switch to HDMI 1. Up comes Apple TV fine but I get the sound from the show I was watching before I switched.

Arkell

Highlighted

Hi All,

Thanks for joining in to help out @Xyz987!

@Arkell, This extra information is really interesting and slightly odd. It is very odd that you get the sound from the regular TV but video from the Apple TV!

What would happen if you were to swap the HDMI inputs over for the Apple TV and other source? Would the same thing happen?

Let me know as this is certainly a weird issue you have found!

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 14, 2020

HI there.

I have tried switching them and get the same result.

It is very good of you to pay attention to my problem.

Arkell

Highlighted

Hi Arkell,

Thank you for confirming!

I'm sorry to hear of this hasn't worked for you. Have you tried the optical connection? You will need to select the optical connection in your TV sound settings. 

Let me know!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 19, 2020

Did you say your TV is in the input?  If your source is Apple TV then the Apple TV should be in the input and the TV should be in the “HDMI out to TV” port. Try that.