Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thomas D
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 21, 2021

Appletv 3 interferera with TV Speaker

I want to disable the appletv3 remote from  adjusting the volume of TV Speaker. 
Now appletv3 Menu button increases Bose volume and Play button decreases volume. It gives irritating and unexpected change of volume.  I want to just use the Bose remote for volume control. 

Bose product name. TVSpeaker

Country Sweden

Firmware Version

App Version Gen 3

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.)

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

I want to disable the appletv3 remote from  adjusting the volume of TV Speaker. 
Now appletv3 Menu button increases Bose volume and Play button decreases volume. It gives irritating and unexpected change of volume.  I want to just use the Bose remote for volume control. 

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Any troubleshooting steps you took

7 REPLIES 7
Charlotte_G

Re: Appletv 3 interferera with TV Speaker

Hi @Thomas D, welcome to the Bose Community!

I am sorry to hear that your Apple TV 3 remote is controlling the volume of your Bose TV Speaker when you do not want it to. How do you have the TV Speaker connected? Optical or HDMI? 

If you're connected via HDMI, then you should turn of the HDMI-CEC setting on your TV. 

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Thomas D
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 21, 2021

Hi,

It’s an optical  connection. 
There’s no HDMI ARC output on my Samsung TV. I also notice that the Bose led blinks when I use the appletv buttons. 
Correction: Menu button decreases Bose volume and Play button increases volume. I turn off the appletv by depressing the Play button for 5 secs giving maximum volume in the TV Speaker. Nuisance. 

Jessie_O

Thanks for coming back to us! 

Can you tell me if your Apple remote is universal? I had a look online and was unable to confirm. If it is universal, it may be programmed to control the Bose system. 

Can you tell me how you have the soundbar positioned in respect of the soundbar?

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Thomas D
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 21, 2021

It’s a standard appletv gen 3 remote. The appletv and the Bose TV Speaker are close to each other. 

Charlotte_G

@Thomas D Thanks for letting us know. 

As the wrong buttons are triggering the volume control, you can ensure that the correct buttons will control the volume by following these steps:

You can teach your speaker to recognize the Volume and Mute controls of a remote that sends IR (infrared) commands—even if it's not a universal remote. This will not work for remotes that send RF (radio frequency) commands to control devices.

1. On your Bose remote, press and hold the TV button until the TV and Bluetooth® lights on the speaker blink three times and then glow white
  2. Press the Volume + button
  3. On the remote with which you want to control your Bose system, press and hold the Volume Up button until your speaker plays a tone:
    • If the TV light on your speaker blinks amber twice then glows white, it learned the command
    • If the TV light on your speaker blinks red twice then glows white, it did not learn the command. Try again. If it doesn't work after a few tries, the speaker cannot learn the commands of that particular remote
  4. Repeat steps 1 – 3 using the Volume Down buttons on the remotes
  5. Repeat steps 1 – 3 using the Mute buttons on the remotes.

This means that the volume will only change when you command it via either remote.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thomas D
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 21, 2021

Thanks, but the underlying problem is that the appletv3 remote uses the same IR signals for other purposes. I solved it by teaching my TV remote the appletv3 commands and thus I don’t use the appletv3 remote anymore and no more interference with the TV Speaker. 

Thomas D
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 21, 2021

I tried teaching my Samsung TV remote the volume commands you described above. TV Speaker only remembers the last of the 3 commands. However it blinked red during the teaching  indicating some error. Each of 3 settings works alone but not at the same time as the other two ones . Strange.