BOSE SOUNDBAR 700, AdaptIQ and Google Assistant

SOLVED
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic

BOSE SOUNDBAR 700, AdaptIQ and Google Assistant

Dear Bose team, 

I have ordered Bose SB 700 and expecting this to be delivered to me in 2-3 weeks time. Since I will be using the product in a different country  (Bangladesh) than the country it was purchased from (UK) due to non availability of the SB700 with Bose authorised dealers in Bangladesh I have the following questions:

Warranty and other issues:

1. Shall I be able to go to Bose authorised dealer here in Bangladesh for a return/fixing any issues it may have although the system was purchased somewhere else? 

2. Shall I be covered under 1 year worldwide bose warranty? What documents I will need to have?

AdaptIQ: 

1. I have an open plan family room where the SB 700 will be placed on a cabinet. On the left side of the entertainment cabinet, it has the dining room and on the right side it has a passage leading all the way to balcony. On both sides the family is seprated by way of glass partition. During running AdaptIQ , position 4 and 5, should I go all the way to the glass partition or the wall. Will the sb700 be able to bounce the sound off a 10mm glass partition?

2. Do you have to rerun the AdaptIQ when you add the accessories (e.g., Bass module and surround speakers)?

Dolby digital 5.1:

1. In absence of the accessories (the bass module 700 and the surround speakers) will the SB700 only be playing stereo sound? If yes, then how is that any different from two bookshelf speakers? 

Google assistant/Amazon Alexa:

1. These two are region locked here in Bangaldesh. In that case will google/alexa be able to perform basic functions e.g., picking up a voice command to tell the weather, time, setting a timer etc. or we should assume that these are non existent for SB700 used in Bangladesh?

eARC:

1. I have a samsung 8000 series TV  from 2016 which has ARC (HDMI 2.0) but not eARC. I cannot plug X Box one X directly to SB700 as there is no 'HDMI IN' in the soundbar like soundtouch 300. In this case, I will have to plug the console to my TV. In that case what is the best possible sound I can expect from the SB700 given the TV does not have eARC? How will it detorirate my listening experience?

Kind regards, 

Raiden

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Author Accepted Answer selected by Raiden

Accepted Solutions

Re: BOSE SOUNDBAR 700, AdaptIQ and Google Assistant

Hi Raiden, 

Thanks for posting and reaching back out to us. 

You are correct the Soundbar could use the glass partition to bounce the sound off of it. You are also correct in your statement with the placement of the Bass Module however you may notice the partition vibrate. I would recommend that you run ADAPTiQ a few different times with these setups and pick the scenario that works best for you! 

The placement of Surround Speaker 2 closely behind would also provide you with a great listening experience! The Bass Module 700 is the same Bass Module that is included with the Lifestyle 650 meaning that if you really wanted to you could add two Bass Modules for even more bass if you feel that the system is lacking, however with this setup, I feel that one would be more than enough! 

If there is anything else that you need assistance with please don't hesitate to ask the community. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

8 REPLIES 8

Hi Raiden, 

Thank you for posting in the Bose Community. 

I will try to answer all of your questions as clear as possible.

Warranty and other issues:

As the Soundbar 700 is not currently available in your location, I would have to ask that you contact your local service center to inquire about this. They will be able to give you the most precise information. Bangladesh Support

AdaptiQ

This technology is really just about experimented until you find the sound that perfectly fits you. The AdaptiQ feature allows you to program the acoustics to suit your environment and there really is no right and wrong. It's just about what you like the sound of.

Dolby digital 5.1

The soundbar alone will still play 5.1 audio.

Google Assistant/Alexa

As we do not fully support these in your location, functions can vary and I would not be able to tell you exactly what could possibly work as we have not tested this. 

eARC

eARC is an advanced version of ARC which supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio streams, including Atmos. These are not currently supported by the Soundbar 700 and therefore, you will not experience any loss of quality by using ARC. 

Please do get back to me with any further questions you may have! 

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

Friendly Fanatic

Hi Charlotte, 

Thanks for your reply. Reading from the forum and various you tube videos, I understand Bose bounces sound off the wall. What if there is no wall straight right and left of the SB 700. As you can see in the picture I have an open plan living room which could be isolated from the dining using the glass partitions. My question is will bose be able to bounce sound off the glass doors/partitions? Black lines denote solid walls, orange lines denote glass partitions/doors and numbers indicate main (1 and 2)  sitting positions (in an L shaped sofa-in blue here). Are these AdaptIQ positions alright? Should I tilt the soundbar (to be placed on the entertainment cabinet underneath the wall hung 65" TV) during adapt IQ calibration to ensure that there is a straight line between the left ands right sides of the bar and the solid wall for best possible sound?  

bose sitting.png

Hi there @Raiden and thanks for following up!

Like all surfaces, the level of reflection/pass-through of audio for your glass partitions depends on the properties of the material, such as it's density, or how thick this is. You will find that the sound will reflect off of these glass surfaces, but you will likely still be able to hear the audio in the second room (though to a lesser extent, like if there was a solid wall there).

If you were to try and run the AdaptIQ in position 4 with the partitions up, the system will likely be unable to detect the return from the headset and may not be able to calibrate correctly. If these partitions can be adjusted (such as a sliding door), then you could perform this calibration more effectively, although as noted the sound experience will be different when these partitions are then in place.

If you were intending to isolate the audio to just the room with the seating location, I would suggest that you move position "4" to the main seating area. However, if you were looking to perform the AdaptIQ for the whole room, I would actually advise the locations be in the seating themselves (please see the image for reference), however this is ultimately down to your preference as noted earlier!

Bose AdaptIQ Updated.png

I would usually suggest that you slightly tilt the soundbar to an angle that would project the most sound towards your preferred seating areas for maximum quality, but please do not move the system during the calibration process as this will alter the calibration resulting in an undesired sound output.

I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have further questions 😊!

Liam W

Friendly Fanatic

Hi @Liam_W , 

Many thanks for your excellent reply. Just for clarification, The glasses are 10 mm thick and the glass partitions can be adjusted i.e., folded away to the sides (to make the room 1 or could be closed to isolate the living room from the dining room). The seating position (2/3) are 9 feel away (directly opposite of the SB700) and living room is 14 feet wide (without the passage).I am not worried about being able to hear the most well calibrated sound in the dining room. Mostly seating positions 1/2/3 (in your reply) will be used for watching movies/listening to songs etc. Also omni jewel surrounds (when purchased) will be put behind seating position 2 and 3 (in your picture). 

The objective is to ensure that the main seating positions (1/2/3)  hear the best sound when calibrated (usually the partitions are used to isolate the room when watching movies).   I intend to isolate the room putting glass partitions in place .as you have suggested. Now the questions are: 

1. Do you suggest I separate the rooms (living and dining) using the  glass (10mm thick) partitions and run adaptIQ (as the objective is to ensure seating positions 1/2/3/4

hear the best possible sound)? Main worry being whether SB700 will be able to use 10mm thick glass partitions enough for reflecting the sound like concrete wall?

2. As can be seen from the picture in the earlier email, slight tilting the SB700 before calibration and running AdaptIQ does not seem to be able to help due to the seating positions angles (the left side can use glass partitions to reflect sound but not sure what will happen to the right side). After calibration, should we move the SB700 back to normal positions? Could you somehow show as to how to tilt to ensure the right side of SB700 can reflect sound off the wall for seating positions 1/2/3? 

3. Is it possible to fold away the glass partition while calibrating for seating position 5 making the room a single room? Or glass partitions should be in place throughout the calibration?

4. What is the minimum distance of each position for adaptIQ calibration., What if I dont have enough room between the seating positions?

Kind regards,

Raiden

Hi @Raiden ,

No problem, I'd be happy to clarify here! 

Please see my updated images for reference to this. If you intend to use both rooms as a single setup, and choose to get all of the accessory speakers (Surround Speakers and Bass Module) then I would suggest you calibrate the room to incorporate these, and adjust the speakers accordingly. 

If your intention was just to have the best audio in the living room with the partition up, all of the calibration and speakers should be positioned there as suggested.

Partition Down.pngPartition Up.png

To answer your questions directly:

1) This is down to preference - personally I would have the partition down if I expect to watch a lot of TV while at the dining room table, but if I wanted the best audio experience I would have the partition up and have 2 rooms.

2) I would suggest that once you calibrate the system you leave this in the same position it started in, as this will provide the maximum audio quality, so if you choose to tilt/angle the soundbar, I would recommend you leave it this way. As for whether to tilt or not: If you have the partition up, I would not angle this, and this would point outwards. If this partition is down, simply turn the Soundbar so the front points slightly towards the dining room.

3) When calibrating, I would recommend you leave the partition up the whole time, or down the whole time depending on which setup option you choose to go with. Please do not adjust the partition while still calibrating as this will affect your audio performance.

4) There is no minimum distance for audio calibration, you you can move slightly each time on the main seating area should you want to have the audio calibrated for that area specifically.

I hope this helps, and I would ask that anyone in the Community with a similar style of setup chime in here with their preference for audio!

Liam W 

Friendly Fanatic

Hi @Liam_W , 

Thank you very much again for your email (espercially the pictures). These help a lot. So Bose sb700 could use glass partition to bounce off the sound. 

So while we would watch cable TV/other things  while sitting in the dining room (not worried about full surround at this point as the 5.1 is not being output from the source), we plan to watch movies sitting in the living room with the partition up. Hence plan to calibrate the system with partition up. 

With ref. to the "partition up" picture, I was planning to put the base module on the left side of the TV and bar (like shown in the partition down picutre)  thinking it could use the (corner created by putting the prtition up) to create more bass and 'surround speaker 2' right next to the sitting position 3 rather than slightly away from sitting position 3 as it would leave the power cable open on the floor. Are these any better solution?

Finally, is Bass Module 700 the same as the bass module in life style 650 with different name? 

Thanks in advance. 

Regards,

Raiden

Hi Raiden, 

Thanks for posting and reaching back out to us. 

You are correct the Soundbar could use the glass partition to bounce the sound off of it. You are also correct in your statement with the placement of the Bass Module however you may notice the partition vibrate. I would recommend that you run ADAPTiQ a few different times with these setups and pick the scenario that works best for you! 

The placement of Surround Speaker 2 closely behind would also provide you with a great listening experience! The Bass Module 700 is the same Bass Module that is included with the Lifestyle 650 meaning that if you really wanted to you could add two Bass Modules for even more bass if you feel that the system is lacking, however with this setup, I feel that one would be more than enough! 

If there is anything else that you need assistance with please don't hesitate to ask the community. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Friendly Fanatic

Hi @Hector_B , @Liam_W @Charlotte_G  

Thanks a lot for your replies. Helps a lot. 

Regards,

Raiden