BILL 901
Participant
Registered since

Apr 19, 2021

BOSE SURROUND SPEAKERS

I am a 78 yr old, technically inept, music lover. I have 25 year old BOSE 901, Series IV speakers. I recently acquired a SONY STR-DH790 AV Receiver. My BOSE speakers are connected via wire directly to the SONY Receiver (without my BOSE Equalizer). I would like to add two BOSE Surround Sound Speakers (at the rear of the room, via Bluetooth) to this system. I do not plan on using a BOSE Sound Bar. Is it possible to add the Surround Sound Speakers, via Bluetooth (or WiFi), to the SONY Receiver?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: BOSE SURROUND SPEAKERS

Author Accepted Answer selected by BILL 901

No, they have a wireless receiver (not BT, but likely to be a radio frequency) that only connects to specific Bose Soundbars or Lifestyle systems.

I haven't tried any, but you may be able to find a third party (non-Bose) transmitter/receiver pack for speakers.  I don't think you'd find these from any named brands, most likely just off Amazon/Ebay

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by BILL 901

No, they have a wireless receiver (not BT, but likely to be a radio frequency) that only connects to specific Bose Soundbars or Lifestyle systems.

I haven't tried any, but you may be able to find a third party (non-Bose) transmitter/receiver pack for speakers.  I don't think you'd find these from any named brands, most likely just off Amazon/Ebay

View solution in original post

texasdoc
Participant
Registered since

Oct 17, 2020

In answer to the question, these will not automatically pair with your Sony setup.  These speakers do have a receiver,  but you will need the appropriate transmitter in the Soundbar 500 or 700.  Without adding the appropriate transmitter, they won’t work.  I don’t know if they have wired input - if so, you *may* be able to run a wire from your Sony to these for surround sound.  They may be wireless only.  If you need wireless transmission, you will need a Bose product that has the transmitter built-in. I don’t think Bose sells the transmitter separately.

At this point, it doesn’t really matter.  Bose has apparently taken these off the market.  They are out of stock everywhere and the “Back-in-stock” date keeps getting extended.  I’ve been looking to purchase these for a few months but can’t find them anywhere local or online.

Marvin_B

Hi BILL 901!

Thank you for your message and post.

With regard to your question, the Surround Speakers and Surround Speakers 700 will only work/compatible with the following soundbars:

Bose Smart Soundbar 300
Bose Smart Soundbar 700
Bose Soundbar 500
SoundTouch 300 soundbar

Hope this helps.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!