Bose 300 Popping

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor

Bose 300 Popping

Hello all, 

I want to start by saying I have always been a loyal bose customer. Purchased the Bose 300 system in October, and recently began hearing the infamous popping noise that I have now read about online. Of course when I bought the system I didn't know this was a potential issue. I am now in the post purchase period where I can't return it to best buy so am essentially stuck with the system. I must say I am dissapointed in BOSE for this product and the quality issue. The "popping" noise is unbearable when it occurs. I have now read multiple forums to try and figure out how to stop the problem, and bose has been marginally helpful. With this being said, I will be switching over to entirely sonos when I upgrade my sound system in the future, as I have a mix of Sonos and Bose and Sonos officially has a far superior product. 

However, I am now stuck with an $1800 soundbar 300 system, including surround speakers and very dissapointing subwoofer which is the root of all the issues. Given I have nowwhere to return the system to get my money back, I will give my 2 cents in how I have tried to resolve the problem. Bose support feel free to chime in with any other advice. 

For troubleshooting, the only things that have worked so far are

1.) to hardwire the subwoofer to the soundbar. this is NOT a long term solution. My TV is the only thing on the wall, and have no where to put the base or the wires, I have the base module a few feet away in the corner of the room. Bose sent me a hardwire which was nice, however what is the point of having a wireless system that needs to be wired to work? The popping noise does not occur when hardwired, at least not when I tested it this way. (I have tried all the other steps, moving subwoofer, restarting entire system, changing internet channels, etc). Of note, I have an ORBI Mesh network which I have seen other people have with this issue. 

2.) I have noticed that the popping doesnt occur with my cable or apple tv ( i shouldnt say never, i maybe here one of the pops during cable or on the apply tv, but as of now seems pretty rare). The apple tv is hardwired to my internet and the cable is wired by HDMI. I notice the popping SIGNIFICANTLY when watching netfilx through my samsung (2018 QLED) smart tv, which is not hardwired. I then switch the internet chord from the apple tv to the samsung tv and popping stopped on the netflix. This makes me think it is an interference from the wireless signal of the TV as it picks up the netflix signal. I am by no means a tech person, these are just my observations 

I am now getting a internet d-link splitter so I can hardwire my interent to the TV, Apple TV, and soundbar to see if the popping goes away for the most part. I just dont understand how bose could put out a product that interacts poorly in a wireless envrioment, as nearly everything is wireless these days. I am VERY FORTUNATE to have bought a house where the internet was hardwired through the walls to the back of my TV. 

Once again, bose please let me know your thoughts. I would still like to return the whole system since it is only a few months old but I doubt Bose will allow that. Hell even just taking the subwoofer back would make me happy, because that thing is worth $0. Frustrating I have to build my whole system around this thing, when I have purchased Sonos in my other rooms and they work flawlessly. BOSE you will lose a ton of business if you don't step up your game. 

Hope this helps someone else with the "popping" issue. 

Noah 

8 REPLIES
Quiet Contributor

Re: Bose 300 Popping

Update: I was able to switch my Orbi Router channels last night (don’t think it switched last time correctly) and the noise has stopped on the wireless Netflix from my TV. Hopefully I don’t hear it anymore now that I have some of the issue isolated.

Though not overall happy, the system sounds REALLY good when it is working correctly. Shame I have wasted several hours getting to work properly.

Quiet Contributor

Update #2 - It is still doing it intermittently, now when I am watching cable. This subwoofer is SO FRUSTRATING. Bose I hope you have a solution for this. 

Please help!

Hello noahballen,

Thanks for posting. I am sorry to hear this is happening, but am glad to help. The popping sound is a result of local signal interference which causes the bass module to switch to different channel as it tries to maintain the connection. Make sure that your bass module is within 30 feet of the soundbar and at least six feet away from other electronic or wireless devices. If you are unable to relocate the bass module, we have interconnect cables available so you can use it in a wired configuration which should eliminate the popping sound.

To acquire a cable, please contact Customer Support here. Just select your region, and kindly scroll down to where you see "Contact Us".

Let us know if this helps! 

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

Quiet Contributor

Hi Greg, 

Thanks for the quick response.

As far as where I stand now, I have my smart TV, apple TV, and Soundbar all hardwired to my internet though a chord that runs in the wall behind the TV. Hopefully this minimizes most of the wireless signal in the area. I have only had this set up for a day or so. So far I haven't noticed the popping at all when watching my apple TV or streaming services on my smart TV. I still can subtley hear an occasional pop when watching direct TV. Not sure why it is only occuring now when watching direct tv and not the other streaming services, which is also hardwired through the HDMI cable and is not one of their wireless boxes. I have only had a day to pay attention to it, but it seemed to happen when someone is either on a laptop in the room or on a phone and the pop occurs, usually once and then goes away. I am glad I have at least for now minimized the problem to this, but it still is not perfect. 

The soundbar and bass are well within 30 feet of each other and there are no other wireless devices within six feet, and even when we use our phones we are six feet away from the device.  

As far as a hardwiring of the bass module this is NOT an option. The TV is isolated on a wall with nothing around it, only the TV and mounted soundbar underneath. To be honest if it comes down to needing to hardwire the system I would kindly ask for a refund of my money on the bass module and will happily send it back to you since in my eyes it would be a defective product at that point. It is marketed as a wireless system and should work as such. As of now the minor interference when watching cable is bearable, though I have not given it enough time to see how much of a problem it really is. I will definitley let you know as time progresses. I have a sonos soundbar in a different room with NO issues with interferance whatsoever. At this price point from Bose I would expect the same. 

I am not sure how you can make a product in 2019 that interferes with cell phone signals, and laptop signals. This is just not acceptable and looking through other threads, clearly I am not the only one with this issue. 

Do you have any ideas why this occuring when watching Direct TV, and has resolved with the other devices?  

Thanks again

Noah 

Hey Noah,

With the increasing prevalence of wireless devices in and around our homes, your wireless environment can get very crowded. Most of those devices operate in a small frequency band in the 2.4 or 5GHz range which means that even one or two additional devices can significantly add to the "noise". Wi-Fi characteristics are environmental and unique to the your network configuration, device usage and surroundings. The bass module uses the 5GHz band and will automatically detect a weak signal and attempt to find a better frequency. This would seem to be confirmed by your statement connecting the popping to the presence of a laptop or phone in use. 

With regard to the DirecTV, it is likely not related to the source and is a product of the environment itself. If you are able to switch your routers and other networked devices to the 2.4GHz band, you are likely to see an improvement.

Let us know how it goes! 

Best Regards, 

Greg

Quiet Contributor

Yeah that is not a good excuse, and limits me from endorsing the product. Homes can get 
"Crowded?" Give me a break. I have switched channels multiple times. Bose should have developed shielding for their product. I have not had interference issues with any other wireless devices in my house. 

As far as a fix to the problem, it seems like the product is defective and cannot be fixed. Would you like me to get rid of all of my wireless equipment in my house so your product can work? Not going to happen. Unless you can come up with a solution that solves it 100% of the time, you have officially lost a loyal customer. Does the new bass module have this interference problem? You should be supplying the new module to people, at least at a major discount, to those who are having this problem (and with a simple google search you will see there are many). 

I have gotten it down to only happening occasionally in short bursts, however it is still annoying and everytime I hear it it makes me frustrated that I spent so much money on a product that doesn't work properly.  A wireless device should not have interference causing it to effect the ONE thing it is supposed to do, make crisp sound. 

Noah 

Quiet Contributor

Update for Bose: still periodically doing. Now it usually just happens as one burst. Very annoying. What are chances of getting this fixed or getting a replacement sub?

Hey Noah,

Thanks for the update and we're sorry you're still having issues. For the best assistance going forward, we recommend that you contact our service team in your region who can discuss any available service options to get you back up and running again - Contact info through here: https://bose.life/2v8YQJ0

Thanks again and please update us when you get the chance. 

Mohsin