steve.osborne
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 19, 2019

Bose 321 GS Series II aux imput sound becomes muffled

Bose 321 GS Series II connected to ASUS UX303U zen notebook using 3.5mm jack to RCA cable.

3.5mm jack plugged into notebook headphone socket.

RCA cable red and white terminals plugged into Bose 321 Auxillary sockets

Initially playback sound is perfect but over the course of 5 or 6 songs becomes increasingly muffled and distorted and diminishes in volume.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Bose 321 GS Series II aux imput sound becomes muffled

Hi steve.osborne, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Bose Community! I am deeply sorry to hear that you are having some issues with your 321 GS II system and would love to look into this further for you. 

Firstly, can you please confirm if the issue persists across multiple sources or just the Asus that you are using? Can you please also test a different source of streaming to ensure that this is not the issue? 

A great place for us to start with for troubleshooting would be to get you to perform a reset on the system by: 

• Turn the system off. Wait 30 seconds
  • Unplug the Acoustimass module power cord from the power outlet
  • Unplug the Acoustimass module cable from the module and media center. Wait 30 seconds
  • Reconnect the Acoustimass module cable at both ends
  • Reconnect the Acoustimass module power cord
  • Wait for the words "Bose 3.2.1" to appear and disappear from the display
  • Retest the system

I look forward to hearing back from you with the answers to my questions and the results of the troubleshooting attempted. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B - Community Support 

steve.osborne
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 19, 2019

Hi Hector

Thanks for your reply.

I reset the system as you suggested and then tried the following sources using the 3.5m mm to RCA cable plugged into the red and white aux sockets on the Bose 321 unit.

Samsung A5 mobile phone
Ipod touch 6th generation
Ipad 2
Samsung UA40EH5000 TV (from headphone socket)

In all cases the sound replayed perfectly at first but gradually degenerated becoming muffled, distorted and diminishing in volume over a 5 or 6 song play period.

This is not a new issue that has just developed .

Hope this info helps with diagnosis.

Thanks Stephen Osborne

Hi Steve.osborne, 

Thank you for this information it is most helpful!

This is certainly a strange issue. Can you try different cables to make sure that it isn't a cable issue?

I would also recommend trying a different RCA to 3.5 adapters to see if this is the issue.

Let me know how this goes! I'll be interested to know if anyone else in the Community is experiencing the same issue.

Kindest, 

Jessie O 

Highlighted
steve.osborne
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 19, 2019

Hi Jessie

I have used a different 3.5mm - RCA cable connected to the 321 aux red and white ports

I used imput sources from the Asus note book, a 6th gen ipod touch and Samsung A5 smart phone with the same results - the sound becomes muffled, distorted and diminishes in volume gradually over a period of 15 - 20 minutes till eventually there is no sound at all.

The CD payer works fine.

Hey Steve, 

Thanks for getting back in touch, and thank you for trying the requested troubleshooting. 

I am sorry to hear you still experiencing issues with your 321 GS II system. 

Based on what you have advised, and as the issue persists with a replacement cable, I would recommend reaching out to local support to discuss service, as this should certainly not be happening. 

Details for support can be found here.

Kind regards, 

Jeff G

steve.osborne
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 19, 2019

Hi Jeff

I purchased a Logitech Bluetooth audio receiver which comes with a 3.5mm - RCA cable. I plugged the 3.5mm cable into the Bluetooth receiver and the red and white jacks into the back of the Bose 321 Aux sockets. I paired the blue tooth adaptor to the Asus laptop and it now plays music from the iTunes library perfectly. I tried the Samsung A5 smart phone using the same set up and that works just fine too.

I wonder if the previous set up was producing some sort of static that was causing the gradual muffling. Breaking the direct cable linkage has done the trick - thanks to the team for their efforts.

Hi steve.osborne, 

Thanks for reaching back out to us and updating us on this! We are glad to hear that the issue is now resolved and appreciate you sharing this fix with us. 

I hope that the information you provided proves useful for other members of the community. If you have any other issues or questions please don't hesitate to reach back out. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B