Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 18, 2020

Bose 321 - No 5.1 Surroung Sound from certain apps

HELP??? 

I upgraded to a new Samsung UHD TV.  Connected with an optical cable to my Bose 321.  The same exact way my old samsung was hooked-up. I am not getting 5.1 sound from Pandora music, or any of the music channels, like I used to with the older Samsung.  I am getting "Dolby Digital 2.0". 

I am getting some bass, but not the loud, thumping base I used to get when it showed 5.1. 

I've tried all the settings.  And completely unplugged the Bose for two minutes, and ensured that optical was set to tv on the Bose. HD movies are coming in 5.1 though.  I'm going to assume it's a Samsung issue. Since my 321 is still an amazing system. Any suggestions on this would be great. 

Thanks!! 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Bose 321 - No 5.1 Surroung Sound from certain apps

Hello rfa2020, 

Thanks for posting. Welcome to the Community! 

It sounds like this may be related to how the TV is outputting the audio. You mentioned movies are playing back at 5.1, which will be correct for sources like this that support 5.1 surround sound. Music sources are generally 2.0 as music is almost always mixed in a two-channel stereo format. 

Are you still also able to watch DVDs on the system in 5.1? 

Thanks. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 18, 2020

So I put in my kids favorite dvd movie, The Polar Express. Sound comes out of the two speakers but very limited bass. This movie used to shake my living room. It has to be a setting somewhere. 
I have optical set to TV, and I have unplugged it from the wall several times.  Any guidance would be extremely helpful.  Thanks 
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 12, 2020

Hi rfa2020,

First off, not an expert on Pandora. We use our AppleTV to listen to music through our TV and from there into our 321. If we're watching a movie with surround sound, the 321's display will read, "DOLBY DIGITAL: 5.1." With music, the display reads, "PCM: 2.0."

I suspect that music is still produced in stereo—I've never heard of music being produced in surround sound apart from video formats. So perhaps the signal you're getting from Pandora is 2.0.

As for the bass, you say you have kids—perhaps someone 'adjusted' the setting for you? 😏 You might try to reset the 321 console to its factory settings. If that doesn't do it, you can access the console's user settings to adjust the bass to your liking.