Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eeyore0
Participant
Registered since

Jul 29, 2020

Bose 321 home sound system, Blue Screen and Communicating with your TV

I have the Bose 321 System connected to a Samsung TV with an HDMI cable and optic audio cable.  I am trying to watch a dvd.  I put it in and hear the audio but the screen is blue.  The Bose 321 unit scrolls the message it communicating with the TV.  I changed the cable and switch the ports, no change I still get the blue screen.  Once and only once, I got the screen to show the movie, except it had a message on the bottom screen saying that it was communicating with the TV,  the message never went away, before the blue screen came back.  I saw a similar post about the issue on this community. I did what is suggested.  I unplugged the bass unit from the outlet, and unplugged to cable to the dvd unit.  I also unplugged the cable from the dvd unit and the hdmi cable from the dvd unit.  I also removed the hdmi cable from the tv.   I left it that way all night. I reconnected everything in the morning. starting with the bass unit, then dvd unit, and finally the hdmi cable to the tv, a different port.  I dont know how to fix the issue.

13 REPLIES 13
Hector_B

Re: Bose 321 home sound system, Blue Screen and Communicating with your TV

Hello eeyore0, 

Welcome to the Community! This is very strange to hear that you have only ever got the system to function as it should once. 

So to begin with I would recommend only having either the HDMI or the optic cable connected to the system to avoid any confusion when setting up. Let's also try to perform a short reset on the system by following these steps below: 

• Power off your system
  • Unplug the power cord from the Acoustimass bass module for 30 seconds
  • Wait for Bose 321 to appear and then disappear from the system console display.

I would like to know if this issue happens only when trying to play DVD's or with all sources? 

We look forward to hearing back from you with further information.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
eeyore0
Participant
Registered since

Jul 29, 2020

Hector,

Thank for your email.  Can you confirm my plan.  I will unplug the optical audio cable from the TV.  I will unplug power chord from bass unit, leaving it in the outlet.  I wait for 30 seconds.  

I will see the see the BOSE321 appear and then disappear from the DVD unit display?

Is that correct?

Thanks

Andy_B
Community Manager

Hey eeyore0 - yes, please try to reset the speaker by power-cycling the system once again. The HDMI and optical cable are both designed for similar uses - the HDMI cable can transmit audio and video data, while the optical cable can transmit audio data. As a result, Hector is suggesting using only the HDMI cable. However, you may likely be using the optical cable to output audio from your TV to the 321 system, while the HDMI cable sends audio from the 321 system (and integrated DVD player) to your TV. As a result, both may be needed.

Is the issue isolated to the DVD player? Are you having issues with any other sources with relation to the 321 system? Additionally, have you tested using the 321's console with a different TV system?

For added reference, we also have some troubleshooting steps on our support site HERE that may be beneficial to you. Many of these steps you may have already attempted. Should you have exhausted all possible troubleshooting, and the issue is isolated to your DVD system, I encourage you to reach out to Bose support in your region to explore service options for the system. Click HERE, select your country, and use the "Contact us" button at the bottom of the page. 

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
eeyore0
Participant
Registered since

Jul 29, 2020

Over this weekend. I did the following:

I unplugged the power cord from the outlet for the Bose bass unit

I unplugged the power cord from the outlet for the TV

I unplugged to optical audio cable from the bose dvd unit, the hdmi cable and the cable from the bass unit.

I waited over 3 minutes.  I plugged back in the power cord for the tv and the bose bass unit. Then I plugged in the cable from the bass unit to the dvd unit.  I saw the bose 321 appear and then disappeared on the dvd unit.  I plugged the hdmi cable to the dvd unit.  I turned on the tv and changed the source to the hdmi port that the hdmi cable to the DVD unit.  It said no signal.  I turned on the DVD unit, and pushed the dvd button on the remote.  Just for clarification The optical audio cable is still unplugged.  The dvd starts to play, I hear the audio of the movie.  The tv is still only a blue screen.  I tried 3 hdmi cables and tried 3 hdmi ports on the tv.  It did not resolve the issue.  I only get the blue screen.

By the way, I use the optical audio cable from the tv to the DVD unit so the cable sound can come through the bose speakers.  I don't have an issue with sound when I am simply watching cable tv.  I think it is a a DVD issue.  The only other thing I want to use the bose system is to watch a DVD.  I dont know what to do, or how to confirm that this is solely a dvd issue?  

Keith_L
Community Manager

Thanks for trying that and letting us know how it went!

The next thing I would recommend doing is checking what video format your 321 is using for the DVDs. It is able to use either NTSC or PAL. Most North and South American regions use NTSC; other regions use PAL, if you have this set incorrectly your TV may not be able to display the video correctly.

To change this setting you will want to follow these steps:

• On the remote control, press the Settings button
  • Scroll down to System Setup, then press the Enter button
  • Scroll down to Video Format
  • Scroll right or left to select NTSC or PAL
  • Press the Settings button to exit the menu
  • Power cycle the system to save the settings. 

Let me know if this does the trick!

eeyore0
Participant
Registered since

Jul 29, 2020

I was not able to do what you suggested.  We lost power for a few minutes last night. I tried to play a dvd this evening and the picture showed on the TV tonight.  So I dont think the type of dvd is the issue.  I am still having an issue though.  The movie played but there was a message on the tv screen and on the dvd unit saying "communicating with your TV"  The message stayed on the tv screen and dvd unit the whole time the movie was playing, over 50 minutes.  See the pictures attached.  I don't know if the movie will be displayed tomorrow.IMG_5963.jpgIMG_5964.jpgIMG_5965.jpg

Kim H
Participant
Registered since

Nov 8, 2020

I have had the 321 Series III for many many years and never had any problems. I recently upgraded to a Sony Bravia tv and am having the same problem. We can hear the DVD but only get a blue screen. I tried all the rebooting options and same results. Today I got a new 4K Ultra HD hdmi cable and still the same results. The picture from my DishNetwork box is working fine. My Bose system also keeps displaying "communicating with your TV" across it and nothing changes. 

If anyone figures out how to fix this I really want to know!! Thanks. 

Keith_L
Community Manager

Hi Kim H,

Have you tried all of the troubleshooting mentioned in this thread already? If not I would definitely recommend doing so to get the DVD picture showing on your TV. It's also worth checking out the troubleshooting shown HERE for a few extra steps to try.

If you are still unable to play DVDs after doing this, I would recommend reaching out to your local support team for further assistance with this. You can find the contact information at this link, by selecting your country/region and then the 'Contact Us' option at the bottom of the page.

I hope this helps!

Kim H
Participant
Registered since

Nov 8, 2020

Yes, I have tried all the steps of rebooting, unplugging, changing ports, etc etc. Perhaps that wasn't clear in my first post. After all that I went and bought a new 4K HDMI cable and that made no change either. I already submitted a request to be contacted by someone from Bose (the same link you provided) but have yet to hear from anyone. I tried the other link you suggested with "extra steps" but no where in the system on my Tv did I find any option to change the video setting to/from PAL.