Bose 500 soundbar automatically switching HDMI input when powering on TV....

Highlighted
Silent Starter

Bose 500 soundbar automatically switching HDMI input when powering on TV....

Having issue with Bose soundbar 500 automatically switching HDMI input when powering on tv. TV is a Sony kdl55ex640 (non-arc). I have an optical audio wire plugged into both tv and sound bar and  also the provided HDMI plugged into soundbar and HDMI port 2 on tv .Everytime I power on tv regardless the last tv input it's automatically switching to the soundbar HDMI input and displays the black Bose music screen. No option to disable the HDMI input on tv settings only option are auto and always. Is there a setting in the soundbar settings that I am missing to correct this auto input switch on tv powerup?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Bose 500 soundbar automatically switching HDMI input when powering on TV....

Hello Bose500,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! 

I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your Soundbar 500, I would be more than happy to help you with this today. Could you confirm what device it is that you have connected via HDMI? Have you checked the CEC settings within the Bose Music app? Are you connected via HDMI ARC?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Kindest regards,

Zoe C - Community Support 

Silent Starter

Re: Bose 500 soundbar automatically switching HDMI input when powering on TV....

This is a Bose Soundbar 500 (799702-1100).

TV is a Sony KDL-55EX640 (2012 model).

-HDMI 1.4. 
- (Per owners manual) BRAVIA Sync™ simplifies control of compatible Sony components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)

I have the soundbar connected to the TV via both digital optical wire and HDMI to the HDMI port 2 on TV. This seems to be the only way I can control the Bose 500 volume via the Sony TV remote. If I use just a digital optical wire only the Bose 500 remote can only be used to adjust the Bose 500 volume. I prefer to use the orignal Sony remote and keep everything all in one. HDMI port 1 on TV is used with a blu-ray player. I also use the OTA HD TV tuner.

The issue I am having is everytime I power on the TV, the TV input automatically goes to HDMI 2 (Bose 500) and displays the black Bose Music app screen regardless of the last used input. I am looking to resume the last used input when powering on the TV. 

Hi there, 

Thanks for posting and updating me on this. 

Can you please remove the Optical Connection and attempt to use the system then? What I think is happening is the TV is using the optical connection as the Sound output and then assuming the HDMI connection is for video rather than audio. We would recommend that you only connect via Optical or HDMI and not both. 

Please update me on the result of this. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Silent Starter

Haha because your sound bar is connected to HDMI and not HDMI ARC. 

I had the same issue. Figured out that HDMI receives input while HDMI ARC is for audio output to another device. 

If you can see the back of your tv where HDMI connections are you Shoild be able to see that one of them is marked ARC. If you can not see them you have two options one is to try each port one by one. Other is just to remove the hdmi cable as you have the optical audio. 

Quiet Contributor

Hi @Bose500 , is this issue resolved? I too am facing the same issue. I have my SOundar 500 connected to the HDMI ARC slot and the Set Top Box connected to the other HDMI (not ARC I suppose since it is not labelled). Each time I switch on my Soundbar, it changes to the HDMI ARC channel.

Audible Advocate

I removed the optical cable as it suggested for my setup to go with HDMI arc and it configured to my Vizio. I thought optical better but with arc HDMI works good for me, if that helps. Tv is looking at HDMI at startup and changes it?

Noisy Narrator

HDMI is superior to optical in many ways.  Always use HDMI ARC from TV to HDMI ARC on Bose if your TV has HDMI ARC.  If the TV doesn't have HDMI ARC, you would need to use optical from the TV to Bose.  Don't use both HDMI and optical.  Plug all your other devices into you TV HDMI in's.