Participant
Registered since

Nov 20, 2020

Bose 700 Soundbar + Sub + Rear. No Sub sound during 5.1 tests and reduced bass in PS5 games

I have the Bose 700 soundbar, latest firmware, the wireless subwoofer and the two 'invisible' rear speakers. 

The system doesn't play sound through the Subwoofer when doing 5.1 tests on youtube etc. 

It does play when using standard music and sound, but what has prompted this is basically if I play music for instance directly through spotify to the soundbar, I get crystal clear sound a fantastic base level. 

If I now play the exact same song, but through the Ps5, I get far less bass and clarity. I can't work it out why. 

Tv is a Samsung Q950 8k, connected to soundbar via ARC Hmdi etc and I've played with TV settings (can produce the sound in Dolby or PCM whichever I select), and I get the same results virtually with both settings. 

Tried looking in Ps5 settings about Audio Output and I've messed with those, just can't think of anything else. 

Same with Ps5 games, I get a hugely reduced bass output, it's virtually like the sub isn't on. It's so quiet even with it increased in volume in the Bose app. 

Any ideas on this at all?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Bose 700 Soundbar + Sub + Rear. No Sub sound during 5.1 tests and reduced bass in PS5 games

Hey multijfj,

Thank you for reaching out to us with this issue. 

Can you tell me if you experience the issue with other video sources such as movies? Can you try this through the PS5 as well as another source? This will help us to pinpoint exactly where the issue is.

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Leader
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: Bose 700 Soundbar + Sub + Rear. No Sub sound during 5.1 tests and reduced bass in PS5 games

@multijfj wrote:

I have the Bose 700 soundbar, latest firmware, the wireless subwoofer and the two 'invisible' rear speakers. 

The system doesn't play sound through the Subwoofer when doing 5.1 tests on youtube etc. 

To my knowledge YouTube still does not support 5.1 as every audio source there is still standard 2.0. Even the 5.1 audio test mixes, if you download them and check the media info, they are still 2.0. Even the original series that they have to offer there are in stereo.

@multijfj wrote:

It does play when using standard music and sound, but what has prompted this is basically if I play music for instance directly through spotify to the soundbar, I get crystal clear sound a fantastic base level. 

If I now play the exact same song, but through the Ps5, I get far less bass and clarity. I can't work it out why. 

Tv is a Samsung Q950 8k, connected to soundbar via ARC Hmdi etc and I've played with TV settings (can produce the sound in Dolby or PCM whichever I select), and I get the same results virtually with both settings. 

Tried looking in Ps5 settings about Audio Output and I've messed with those, just can't think of anything else. 

Same with Ps5 games, I get a hugely reduced bass output, it's virtually like the sub isn't on. It's so quiet even with it increased in volume in the Bose app. 

Any ideas on this at all?

I believe that this is probably down to your TV not outputting 5.1 over ARC. The first thing I would ask you to do is read over this post where I help someone else's issue with a PS5 not sending 5.1 to a different Bose system. 

If you find that does not work, I would ask that you read over this post as I go over some other solutions about how to experience 5.1 with a TV that has ARC and not eARC.

I hope that one of these answers helps solve your question. Please let us know what you ended up doing 🙂