Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 16, 2020

Bose 700 Soundbar not connecting to Spectrum Cable Box

I have a new Bose 700 Soundbar attached via HDMI-ARC to a new Samsung Q70 TV.  The TV is connected via HDMI to a Spectrum201 cable box (Humax).

I can only control the sound/on-off on the Soundbar using the Soundbar Remote.

I have to change the channels or use the guide via the Spectrum remote.

I have configured the Bose Music App such that the cable box, TV, and bose universal remote are all referenced in the UNIVERSAL REMOTE section in Settings.

How can I complete the setup so that I can control everything from the Bose 700 Universal Remote?

Thanks in advance,

Adam.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: Bose 700 Soundbar not connecting to Spectrum Cable Box

Hi Adam, Thank you for your post and welcome!

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you seem to be experiencing with the universal remote. Can you tell me if the process completes when you program the remote? 

I look forward to hearing from you!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 16, 2020

Yes, the process completes and I have the Bose Universal Remote listed in the Advanced Properties of the UNIVERSAL REMOTE section on the Bose Music App under Soundbar > Settings.

Under Soundbar > Settings > Configure Sources, the Cable/Satellite box is listed.
I went thru the Zip Code/Cable Provider configuration and selected one of two Spectrum providers listed (I have tried both) - The box would not pair "auto-magically", I had to enter the Manufacturer (Humax) and the Model (SPECTRUM201)- this is an RF enabled cable box located in a cabinet adjacent to the TV -  then, it indicated that connection was successful.

As I said, I can control the sound from the soundbar perfectly, Alexa works perfectly, but I cannot perform any cable box functions such as guide or change the channels.

Thanks again,

Adam.                 

Highlighted

Thanks for getting back in touch, Adam.

The remote will be communicating with the cable box via IR (infrared) so there needs to be a clear line of sight from the soundbar (the emitter is on the soundbar itself, not the remote) and the cable box. Have you tried relocating the box to see if you are able to achieve any communication? 

Thanks.

Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 16, 2020

So, just to confirm, as it is actually the Soundbar (which is only IR and not RF) and not the remote that is attempting to communicate with the cable box, it is impossible to have any sort of setup in which the cable box resides out of sight in a built in cabinet?

Are there any other solutions that I can consider?

Otherwise, it seems I am left with only two options.  Firstly, use multiple remotes (Spectrum remote for all cable functions and a shiny new Bose remote for sound only).  Or, secondly, drill holes in my new built in cabinets to put the "ugly" cable box in plain sight.

Again, any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam.

Highlighted

One option, that is certainly worth a try, is to add an IR emitter to your Soundbar 700. We have these available if you simply give our team a call they'll be able to get one sent out to you. I cannot guarantee that this will resolve the issue, but It's a possiblity for this circumstance. 

Global Contact Us > Select your country > Scroll to the bottom of the page > Click 'Contact Us'

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 16, 2020

I tried using the IR Emitter sent by Bose Support, but have not had success.

Adding the cable box in the Bose Music App requires me to add it manually - none of the automated code attempts work.

I have tried a combination for Manufacturer/Model of HUMAX/SPECTRUM201 and SPECTRUM/201 without luck.  The App says the cable box is configured, but neither Alexa or the Bose Universal remote will change channels.

At this point, it looks like I am going to have to use 2 remotes - The Spectrum remote to change channels etc.. and the Bose remote to power on and adjust the sound (seems like a waste of such a good looking remote).

Any further thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Adam.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 28, 2019

I am having the same issue with mine. The remote should work with multiple devices like most universal remotes, especially for the price of the unit.