Highlighted
iBose700
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 27, 2019

Bose 700 surround speakers

I just got Bose 700 soundbar, 700 subwoofer and 700 surround speakers. My rear surround speakers volume are very low even after I cranked it up to 100 in the Bose Music app. I did do the sound test with AdaptiQ and still rear speakers sound very low. Please help. What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Bose 700 surround speakers

Hello iBose700, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community Forums. 

I am sorry that you are unhappy with the volume output and would love to help. 

Can I please start by confirming:

• What sources are you using to listen to audio? 
  • Is this the same when listening to music via the app and listening to TV audio or is there a difference? 
  • Have you reran the AdaptIQ again after the initial set up to maximize the sound settings? 

I look forward to your response. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W - Community Support 

iBose700
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 27, 2019

I tested out with 3 different movies that have 5.1 audio. I did rerun the AdaptIQ again this morning again and played music through it and then played a video with 5.1 again. They both sound the same to me. I can hear the main audio through the sound bar but the surround speakers. The more volume I turn up the louder the main sound bar sound which then makes it even harder to hear if any sound coming out of the rear speakers. I have to be close to them in order to hear that there's audio coming out. When I run the AdaptIQ, do I put all speakers at level 0? I see that I can do negative level. Should I set the rear speakers to negative level like -30? Would that help boost the volume of the rear speakers during the audio tuning?

Hey iBose700, 

Thanks for getting back to me. 

Can I please also confirm the following with you? 

• How is the soundbar connected to the TV? 
  • What TV is the Soundbar connected to and is the TV set to output audio in a 5.1 supported format?
  • Where are the movies coming from - a streaming device etc, are these also outputting audio in their settings to 5.1?

I look forward to your response. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

iBose700
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 27, 2019

The sound bar is connected via HDMI ARC. The TV is 75" Samsung 1080p LED. I looked several times in the sound setting of the TV and the only thing I can find is Audio Format to PCM in the additional settings of sound on the TV. Besides the PCM, there's also the DTS Neo 2:5. The Dolby Digital and DTS are greyed out. Besides the Samsung TV, I play my movie source is from Plex via Nvidia Shield TV. I checked the sound in Nvidia Shield TV and I selected everything that has to do with 5.1 and Dolby Digital. The movie info does say 5.1 and I even played different movies and made sure each one has 5.1 from the movie itself.

Hello, 

Thank you for getting back in touch. 

5.1 movies are generally mixed in the following manner: 

Center: Main dialogue / Music.

Front Left/Right: Music/Sound Effects

Rear Left/Right: Additional Sound Effects (effects to complement on-screen events that seek to envelop the viewer.) 

Rear sounds are almost always quieter than the front speakers, as they are not intended to be at the forefront of the overall mix - they are an accompanying element. You may even find that some movies/TV shows utilize the rear surrounds at key points to help increase the impact of the effect. 

Generally, I would recommend keeping the rear surround levels at a lower volume as when the sound effects are utilized, this may detract from any dialog from the front center channel speaker. 

If any users of the Community can recommend some movies that make provide a fantastic demonstration of surround sound effects, I welcome you to add to the discussion! 

Kind regards, 

Jeff G

iBose700
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 27, 2019

Thank you for the help. I guess now I have to decide to accept that the rear speakers don’t give as loud of a sound as I would like or return them. 

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Have you tried them with an action movie from Netflix or a DVD?  That's when you will hear them more than anything else.

Itsjustmeee
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 2, 2019

I would forget about AdaptIQ or trying to figure it out by watching 5.1 movies for the time being. If you have a smart TV or apple TV, search for a 5.1 audio test on Youtube. That will give you discreet white noise through each one of your speakers so you can hear what's really going on. I did that to text to make sure my left and right surround speakers were set properly. 

RAMSHIK
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 12, 2019

Bose Surround Speakers 700

Hi, is it planned to release an update to raise the volume level, since everyone is dissatisfied with the very quiet sound of them.

Who knows ?