Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 4, 2020

Bose 700 system integrated alexa can't turn on cable by voice, but can turn it off.

I have the bose 700 soundbar with subwoofer and alexa built in with a motorola brand cable box (att uverse). By voice commands, alexa can turn on speaker and tv, but not the cable box. However it can turn off the tv and cable box by voice command. It can also change channels , increase or decrease volume. The supplied remote turns everything on perfectly. I have tried the CEC and Alternate CEC settings which didn't correct the problem. Any suggestions?

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Re: Bose 700 system integrated alexa can't turn on cable by voice, but can turn it off.

Hi Charles G,

Welcome to the community!

The troubleshooting you have done so far is a great start. Narrowing down exactly when the control isn't working as you would expect, checking the universal remote is working and checking CEC settings are all great places to start.

When using the Alexa to turn your soundbar and TV on, Alexa won't be controlling the TV or cable box directly. When powering on and off, it will be using CEC commands, which from the troubleshooting you have done it looks like you suspected as well. 

Trying the two different CEC settings on the soundbar could be looking in the wrong place, however, as that will only affect how the soundbar communicates with the TV over the HDMI cable. For the commands to reach the cable box, this would be down to the CEC settings on your TV. Could you let me know what make/model TV you have, so I can have a look at what could be changed on there?

Something else that would be worth trying as well is enabling the Power Sync option on the soundbar for your cable box. You can do this in the Bose Music app by following these steps:

• Tap the image of the soundbar shown in the bottom-right corner of the screen.

• Select Settings > Power Sync.

• Tap the toggle switch for Enable Power Sync and choose your cable box.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 4, 2020

Re: Bose 700 system integrated alexa can't turn on cable by voice, but can turn it off.

Hi Keith,

I tried your suggestion with no succes . My tv model is a 2006 panasonic hdtv model number th-42px60u. I connect the tv to the soundbar by optical cable and I connect my laptop to the soundbar with hdmi connection.    Thanks

Highlighted

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

As the speaker is connected to the TV via optical, CEC will not be used for communication. This means the communication path here is: 

Alexa command sent to the speaker by your voice > Soundbar outputs IR signals from the bar > Signal is received by the TV. For the cable box, it is either receiving the commands via IR also, or there is CEC communication between the TV and the cable box. 

There should be no difference other than the fact you are using your voice instead of the remote control, yet the remote seems to allow all functions to work. Are there any external factors that may be causing this? For example, the amount of light in the room when you turn on vs when you turn off? 

Thanks.

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 4, 2020

Hi, 

No, there are no other external factors such as lighting that would affect this. 

Highlighted

Thanks for clarifying Charles.

Would you be able to confirm what you're asking Alexa when trying to turn on the TV & cable box? Also, when using the remote, what buttons presses do you make to turn the TV and cable box on? I'd like to know about what functions Alexa may have trouble trying to execute.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 4, 2020

Hi, I use the voice commands Alexa turn on tv and Alexa turn off tv. Off, successfully turns everything off. I push only the power button on the bose remote which successfully turns everything on and off. Lately the bose 700 cannot enter in all cable channel numbers by voice . For example alexa watch channel 1002 results in channel 1 or 10 being entered. 

Highlighted

Hi Charles G, 

I would recommend trying an HDMI Reset. You can do this by unplugging both the soundbar and the TV from power for 30 seconds. Once Complete, plug in just the soundbar and select the TV source. Then plug in the TV. 

Let me know how it goes! 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 3, 2020

Like Charles I’m experiencing the same issues. When using the remote, pressing the power button will turn on my cable box, tv, and Soundbar. Once the devices are on pressing the power button again will turn off my cable box, tv, and Soundbar. When asking Alexa to “turn on tv” it only powers on the Soundbar and tv. Once I power on the cable box using the remote asking Alexa to “turn off tv” turns off all 3 devices.