Highlighted
Gooner21
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 6, 2019

Re: Bose 700 universal remote will not controll my Samsung TV UN55NU6900FXZA

@Charlotte_G wrote:

Hello all, 

Sorry to hear that you are still experiencing some problems with your universal remote. 

Could you please try the following steps:

1. Removal all 3rd party devices from remote.
  2. Settings > (Universal Remote) TV or Configure >
  3. Enter TV or Device Brand > Tap My TV/Device is On >
  4. Tap Try it now > Press Advanced Setup >
  5. Enter TV/Device Model Number

Let me know how you get on with these steps.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G

Hi @Charlotte_G , this fixes it for the TV but as soon as I add the other devices back in (XBOX1, DVD etc)  it stuffs up again, Are you saying this is a workaround for now and that Bose are aware and are fixing this bug in the near future? 

If not then its not really a "Universal remote" anymore is it....Please confirm they are aware and are working on a permant firmware/fix for this

Guy495
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 27, 2019

No, I have not received a solution.  No reply since my last post other than asking if problem was solved. 

Hello all, 

Can you please confirm how you are connecting the soundbar to the television? Optical or HDMI ARC? 

Further to this, I would recommend having a read of my post here [LINK] as this may contain useful information with regards to troubleshooting and understanding the setup and functionality of the product and the remote. 

Kind regards, 

Jeff G

Guy495
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 27, 2019

Optical

Thanks for getting back in touch, Guy495.

Okay, so if you are connected via optical, CEC control will not be taking place. All operation will be taking place via the following chain:

Button press on remote > command sent to the soundbar via RF > soundbar sends out an IR signal emission into the room > Television/DVD player etc will receive the command. 

You need to factor this in to ensure any potential for issue is eliminated. The emitter is on the front of the soundbar, therefore if the speaker is directly in front of the television, the TV may not see the IR command. (TV IR receivers are typically located on the front of the television,)

You mentioned later in the thread that the remote is, in fact, working with the television (apps, etc) it is just Direct TV that is not being controlled. Am I understanding that correctly? If so can you confirm:

- Is there a separate cable box for your Direct TV?

- Have you programmed the remote to control the box separately and assigned it to one of the other source assignments on the remote? 

- Is the box located near to the soundbar to allow the remote to control it? 

Kind regards, 

Jeff G 

Guy495
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 27, 2019

You understand me correctly.  There is a separate cable box for Direct TV and it is in another room and not programed to work with the remote.  It communicates with a smaller box via WiFi which is near the TV.  If I understood our previous post correctly, I plan to connect the sound bar to the TV Via MI ARC.  Will let you know how that turns out a little later.  Still not sure I understand why the remote will work with the other apps on the TV.

Guy Boyd

Many thanks for getting back to me, Guy.

It can sometimes be somewhat difficult to fully get a grasp of a user's setup so I thoroughly appreciate your patience and the information you have provided.

Based on what you have described, I would guess that the functions on the TV including the smart features are working because you have trained the remote to control the TV. The smart functions are integrated directly into the television, therefore app functions are being relayed via the TV IR receiver once it has received the commands from your Soundbar 700. 

With the Direct TV box, on the other hand, this will require remote pairing within the app similarly to how you set up the TV, but you also need to be sure the box is able to receive the IR commands that are being sent. The smaller box you are referring to may have an IR receiver also, but if not, this will be why functions are not being sent. Connecting via ARC may resolve this as Consumer Electronic Control (CEC) will override the IR-based approach currently being used. 

I wish you luck with this all, and please do feel free to get back in touch if there are any developments. I'm interested to hear how you get on! 

All the best, 

Jeff G 

Guy495
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 27, 2019

Things are worse now.  I changed the connection to an HDMI ARC.  No sound from bose.  Deleted everything from the bose music app to run the setup again to select the HDMI ARC as the connection type.  Does not ask me for TV type, nor connection type.  The app does allow adding the 700 soundbar and base but other than that does not work.  Will not add the remote.  When that is attempted the remote lights flash between the music, TV and bluetooth icons and that is it.  All lights on the remote end up lit, but the remote controlls "nothing".  Not sure what is going on, but if I cannot get the app to go through all of its set ups, this is not going to work.  Very disapointed.  This should not be this difficult!!

In setup on the TV there is only an option for TV speakers or optical output.  Does the optical cable need to be disconnected from the TV for me to get an HDMI ARC option?

Guy Boyd

Hi again @Guy495 

Thanks for following up. It sounds like your remote is not currently paired to the system, which would explain why this is not working correctly!

Let's get your remote paired back up 😊.

Firstly, please temporarily unplug your router to disconnect the product from Wi-Fi, then press and hold the Volume - and Left arrow buttons for five seconds to clear stored pairings in the remote. Once done, on the soundbar itself, please press and hold the Action ○ button for five seconds. Allow 15 seconds for the remote and Soundbar to pair. When paired, you can reconnect your Wi-Fi router again.

You won't be asked for a connection type from our app, but you may have those settings in your TV and other sources (such as the DirectTV box) so please check there. If your TV does not have a HDMI port that is labelled "ARC", "Audio" or "Audio Return Channel" then you would need to use the optical cable instead as your TV would need one of these ports to use CEC and ARC.

Once your remote is paired back up please check that these ports and that the system works correctly, and get back to me!

Liam W

Guy495
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 27, 2019

Thanks, will do.