Highlighted
Johns2000
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 14, 2019

Bose Cinemate 15 optical connection not working

My TV has been hooked up by the optical connection for a few years with no problems.  I disconnected it so that I could hook the speaker up to a DVD player that only had the coaxial output.  This worked fine.  When I hooked it back up to the TV, no sound would play.  I tried the following. Turn off and unhook all cables for 1 minute, that didn't work. I tried using the optical output on my cable box and that didn't work.  I see that the TV is sending a signal because the red light in the cable is on when the TV is on and off when I shut the TV off.  I checked the diagnostics by holding the remote button for 15 sec. and got 4 blinks, so it is showing that it is not receiving an audio signal, but I think it is because of the red light being on inside the cable (and the fact that I tried 2 sources).  This is the only output option on the TV, but my cable box also offers the r/w stereo jacks.  I tried these and that worked, along with the DVD player still working if I hook up the coaxial cable again.  I did not have both digital and coaxial plugged in at the same time.  Could it possibly be that- because I used the coaxial input, that it is not going back to the optical? Is there a way to make it choose optical? I thought if this were an issue, that by doing the unplugging reset it would fix the issue, but it does not.  

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Bose Cinemate 15 optical connection not working

Hi Johns2000, 

Thank you for taking the time to post and welcome to the Community! 

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing and I will do all I can to assist you! 

Thank you for providing in-depth detail regarding the troubleshooting you have carried out. I would recommend resetting the TV to make sure that the TV hasn't become confused with the different outputs. Unplug the TV, wait for 30 seconds then plug it back in. Once completed, double-check your sound settings on the TV to make sure you still have optical selected. 

Let me know how you get on! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O - Community Support

Johns2000
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 14, 2019

Thank you for the quick response.  Unfortunately, I just tried this and it did not work.  Keep in mind that I also tried it from another source (cable box) and the cable is lit up when plugged into either source. I also tried another cable with each source and still get no sound.  Any other suggestions?

Hi Johns2000, 

Thank you for coming back to me and updating me.

I understand the optical cable light and it is a strange issue you are experiencing. 

Let's try a reset, to do this follow the instructions below:

1. Turn the product off
  2. Unplug the power cord from the power outlet. Wait 1 minute
  3. Reconnect the power cord
  4. Retest the system

If this doesn't work, I would recommend trying a different cable (I know you are getting the light) Just to be sure. 

Let me know how you get on! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O - Community Support 

Johns2000
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 14, 2019

HI,

I tried a different optical cable and it still does not work. 

Hello Johns2000, 

Thank you for getting back in touch. 

Is there any possibility that any dust/debris got into the Cinemate's optical port that could be preventing it from seeing the signal from the connected cable? (Compressed air/vacuum may help in this case.)

Further to this, is the Coax cable albeit disconnected from the cable box, still connected to the Cinemate? If it is, please disconnect this.

I'll be interested to hear your findings.

Kind regards,

Jeff G

Johns2000
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 14, 2019

I just tried blowing air into the optical port and that did not work. 

Hi Johns2000, 

Many thanks for getting back in touch. 

The only thing I can recommend other than to reach out to support in your country, would be to check the audio settings on your TV to ensure it is definitely outputting via optical (sometimes on the TV it is referred to as 'Digital Audio Out,' 'TOSLINK' or 'S/PDIF,' they're all the same thing, so whatever is present on the menu, select that. For full instructions regarding setting the output on the TV, please refer to the TV manufacturer's user guide. 

I can appreciate you tried diagnostics mode, but some devices send continuous 1's and 0's down the line even when the output isn't truly activated, so this could have given a false impression of output. 

Please let me know how you get on. 

Kind regards

Jeff G