Solution
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 21, 2018

Re: Bose Cinemate 1Sr does not respond to remote

This might be a bit late, & the moderators may forbid this but here goes anyway - there is a semi-simple fix for the "not responding to remote" issue. There seems to be a circuit design flaw with the infrared receiver modules (3) on the IR sensor board. The designer of this circuit had a goal of having the soundbar respond to the remote control from many different angles & rather than use optics to achieve that goal instead added multiple IR receiver modules & from what I could tell via the traces on the board, wired them in parallel. If the circuit would have been using simple infrared detector diodes, this wouldn't have been a problem. But the 38kHz infrared receiver modules used here don't seem to like having their output leg tied directly to another output leg. Now I'm not a design engineer, but I almost never see any designs that DIRECTLY tie multiple outputs together. Anyway replacing these three IR receivers solved the problem. I was tempted to modify the board, but decided that if it lasted 5 years as-is, another 5 years will be enough for the friend I fixed it for. I'm not posting instructions how to repair this, just info on what fixed this one - seems like a better response than "click here to find your nearest authorized service center"

arrowheadbob
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 21, 2018

Finally an answer that makes sense!  I am a retired electronic engineer who also just started having the seemingly common problem mentioned by so many others above.  My system is just over 4 years old, and this seems to be a design flaw.  I too, am disappointed with the way that Bose is handling what seems to be a product defect.  Seems like a recall notice would be more appropriate.  Anyhow, before I would send it in for repair, I thought I would open it up and have a look, which I am now sure I will do as soon as the holidays permit.

My question to Silent Starter, if he is still following this thread, is what type of IR modules did you get and where? I have contacts at several of the major parts distributors where I can source them.  That way, I can have them on hand and open the unit and fix it right away.  Are they the typical 3 leg thru-hole type or SMT?  I have the skills and equipment to replace either type. And the total outlay will be only a few dollars.

Thanks for the light at the end of the tunnel.  Rather than pay Bose to fix their defect, I was thinking of buying a new bar at Costco (a different brand, of course).

Solution
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 21, 2018

Arrowheadbob - the IR receivers are through-hole & the ones I used as a replacement (Amzon $7 for 20) have a part # of VS1838B. Locations on IR board - U2501, U2502 & U2504. Access was surprisingly easy (disassembly instructions actually exist on-line). Hope you have the same success as I had. I'm now tempted to find someone willing to sell (cheap) me a failed soundbar to fix for my own use! I was impressed with the soundfield this thing presented.

arrowheadbob
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 21, 2018

Solution-

Thanks for the quick response.  I will get them on order.  Yes, I agree the soundfield is impressive.  Appreciate you sharing the success story on the forum.  I was about ready to not bother with it and buy something else.

Solution
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 21, 2018

Here is a look at the IR receiver board & the locations of the 38kHz infrared receiver modules I replaced. If the unit experiences another failure, I will probably modify the board by removing the upward facing & one of the forward facing modules and add a plastic light tube from the remaining module up to the front grill. Since I don't have any problems with other media components that utilize only a single IR receiver, I don't think this soundbar will suffer any loss of reception. Even if it  was a little less responsive, it would still be a vast improvement over no response! I hope you post a follow-up to this forum on the outcome of your attempt to salvage this device. (I'm still going to be shocked if these posts aren't taken down after the moderators return from the holiday weekend). I will probably post a more detailed procedure of this repair on the bad caps forumIR Module.jpg

Hacke78
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 3, 2019

Have had the exact same symptom for a while and tried replace the IR reciever components but it made no difference for my system, sadly. Remote works for about 5min and then stops responding.

i used generic 38kHz 1838 IR modules.

Solution
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 21, 2018

I guess I should have updated this forum regarding the fix, but the holidays kept me quite busy. The unit I had replaced the IR modules in started to exibit the same problem after a few weeks. I had stopped over by the owners home & tried dropping the module count to one (bridging the empty through-holes) but I must have missed something because then I had zero response from the remote commands. I didn't have time or my work bench, so I didn't get to dive into it further (yet). There are several smd transistors on the IR module board that I would like to test but I'll need to have the unit on my bench & the owner is just using it as-is by using the variable volume on the TV instead. So if someone wants to send me a SR1 soundbar (or just the IR module board) for me to finally cure this issue - feel free to contact me. Best solution would be to find a supplier that could (would) sell the IR module circuit board. If I owned this soundbar I would probably spend more time finding a supplier or have some made up by a shop I've used previously. If I figure anything else out or get my hands on one of these, I'll be sure to post a follow-up.

Chris.briggs1
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 17, 2019

That’s a rubbish response to a frequently occurring problem
You know it has nothing to do with light sources or batteries and referring people who have paid a small fortune for kit to their “nearest service centre” to fix a problem you are well aware of is poor customer service
What is wrong with the 1sr and how can we effectively fix it without all the service centre nonsense?
Highlighted

Hello Chris.briggs1! Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

Through this forum we can provide technical support and troubleshooting to help you get the most from your Bose products. Since it appears that this is not something that can be resolved here, your best course of action is to contact your local service support center for available service options. Contact information can be found here. Just select your region, and kindly scroll down to where you see "Contact Us". 

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

acopeland101
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 1, 2019

The frustrating issue of the sound bar not "listening" recoginizing happens to me too.  It seems like it is a more and more common occurrence and assume there is a readily fix.  Is it circuitry, Software update?  As everyone else, I have unplugged the system for a few minutes.  After plugging it back in, the soundbar does respond to the remote and will for few hours at which time it fails to respond any further.  I purchased my Cinemate 1 SR 5.5 years ago, so it is rather old but it is an expensive soundbar.  Is it worth it to take it in for a repair?  What is the cost?

Is there any other solution?