starkadhr
Participant
  • 0
  • 5
  • 0
Registered since

Apr 13, 2021

Bose Control Console Update app not functional on Mac Big Sur

Bose product name: V35

Country: USA

Software version:  DEF.02.06.00.r112756

Firmware Version:  02.06.00-U

IR database: 5.3.20.0

 

After downloading and installing the Bose Control Console Update app for my V35 system, when I attempt to launch it on any computer, I receive a message that the developer needs to update the app in order for it to work with this version of macOS.

I contacted Bose Support and was informed that the app will only work with older versions of macOS and/or Windows OS. Since I don't have either I guess that means I can't update the firmware now... or ever?

Does Bose ever plan on releasing a new update app ? 

 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
NeonsNight
Mentor
  • 96
  • 695
  • 58
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: Bose Control Console Update app not functional on Mac Big Sur

Author Accepted Answer selected by starkadhr

@starkadhr wrote:

Bose product name: V35

Country: USA

Software version:  DEF.02.06.00.r112756

Firmware Version:  02.06.00-U

IR database: 5.3.20.0

 

After downloading and installing the Bose Control Console Update app for my V35 system, when I attempt to launch it on any computer, I receive a message that the developer needs to update the app in order for it to work with this version of macOS.

I contacted Bose Support and was informed that the app will only work with older versions of macOS and/or Windows OS. Since I don't have either I guess that means I can't update the firmware now... or ever?

Does Bose ever plan on releasing a new update app ? 


I doubt Bose will make a new app as that is a discontinued system and the receiver hasn't been sold for the past 5 years.

 

I did google "bose firmware v35" for you and found a Reddit post that has a link to some of those files. If my memory is correct, you can just copy the new files onto a flash drive to update the receiver. It looks like the latest versions stored there are 02.21.00.r13184 & 5.3.30.1.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
starkadhr
Participant
  • 0
  • 5
  • 0
Registered since

Apr 13, 2021

Re: Bose Control Console Update app not functional on Mac Big Sur

Correction: that should read my computer not any computer

Jessie_O
Moderator

Re: Bose Control Console Update app not functional on Mac Big Sur

Hey Starkadhr, 

 

Thank you for your post and welcome! 

 

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue and will do all I can to assist you!

 

I have included the LINK HERE to assist you with this issue. The operating system on the Mac is different but the troubleshooting should still help with your issue. 

 

Let me know how you get on! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
starkadhr
Participant
  • 0
  • 5
  • 0
Registered since

Apr 13, 2021

Re: Bose Control Console Update app not functional on Mac Big Sur

Thank you for the response. I don't think the solution for the Catalina OS is addressing the same issue. I believe the problem may be that the Bose app is 32 bit and Big Sur will only run 64 bit apps. The message box I'm seeing lets me select OK or Learn More. Nothing more to be done from there.IMG_0491.JPG

NeonsNight
Mentor
  • 96
  • 695
  • 58
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: Bose Control Console Update app not functional on Mac Big Sur

Author Accepted Answer selected by starkadhr

@starkadhr wrote:

Bose product name: V35

Country: USA

Software version:  DEF.02.06.00.r112756

Firmware Version:  02.06.00-U

IR database: 5.3.20.0

 

After downloading and installing the Bose Control Console Update app for my V35 system, when I attempt to launch it on any computer, I receive a message that the developer needs to update the app in order for it to work with this version of macOS.

I contacted Bose Support and was informed that the app will only work with older versions of macOS and/or Windows OS. Since I don't have either I guess that means I can't update the firmware now... or ever?

Does Bose ever plan on releasing a new update app ? 


I doubt Bose will make a new app as that is a discontinued system and the receiver hasn't been sold for the past 5 years.

 

I did google "bose firmware v35" for you and found a Reddit post that has a link to some of those files. If my memory is correct, you can just copy the new files onto a flash drive to update the receiver. It looks like the latest versions stored there are 02.21.00.r13184 & 5.3.30.1.

View solution in original post

starkadhr
Participant
  • 0
  • 5
  • 0
Registered since

Apr 13, 2021

Re: Bose Control Console Update app not functional on Mac Big Sur

Thank you! Good solution. I'll see if those files work.

I understand that all products have a limited life span but Bose equipment is supposed to be high end and compared to their competitors, is very expensive. I can't justify spending $3000+ for a system that will go unsupported after five years. They may have updated the firmware but if you can't get it then it essentially doesn't exist.

I've been a lifetime Bose user and have many of their products but this situation has soured me on ever buying their product again. As the old saying goes... "You can shear a sheep twice a year but you can only skin him once". 

 

starkadhr
Participant
  • 0
  • 5
  • 0
Registered since

Apr 13, 2021

Re: Bose Control Console Update app not functional on Mac Big Sur

forgot to add...

 

why doesn't Bose just post the necessary files for download and stop the USB stick and app nonsense?

NeonsNight
Mentor
  • 96
  • 695
  • 58
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: Bose Control Console Update app not functional on Mac Big Sur


@starkadhr wrote:

Thank you! Good solution. I'll see if those files work.

I understand that all products have a limited life span but Bose equipment is supposed to be high end and compared to their competitors, is very expensive. I can't justify spending $3000+ for a system that will go unsupported after five years. 


This is the norm with most electronics companies. Bose would have to invest a lot of time money and resources to create (or at the easiest update) software to work on a new platform. All this for hardware that first came out 11 years ago and has not been sold for half a decade.

 

Consider this, when the AV35 receiver first came out the iPhone 4 launched and according to the update page the software was designed with Windows XP and OS 10.5 in mind.

 


@starkadhr wrote:

I've been a lifetime Bose user and have many of their products but this situation has soured me on ever buying their product again. As the old saying goes... "You can shear a sheep twice a year but you can only skin him once". 


I am sorry I cannot agree with you here. I have worked in large corporations and with small business, this is an investment which seldom would ever occur. It's not saying it's right or wrong, it just does not make sense as a good expense in both resources and manpower. I for one am happy that Bose has not removed the files from their servers. All Bose has done is not invested in creating a new program that would only impact a small group of users which you sadly are a part of (17.1% of all desktop users currently use macOS and according to this list macOS 11.3 does not even show up with the majority of users running macOS 10.15 or earlier).

 

Sony, a far larger company to Bose, is shutting down its PS Vita store, the Vita came out in 2011 and is still active with people making games for it and selling them on that store and unlike Bose, Sony is making money still from this platform.

 


@starkadhr wrote:

They may have updated the firmware but if you can't get it then it essentially doesn't exist.



@starkadhr wrote:

why doesn't Bose just post the necessary files for download and stop the USB stick and app nonsense?


Now, this on the other hand I fully agree with. It appears to be something that Bose really does not like to do. I do not know why this is, but this is actually not industry standard and sharing the update files online would help the end-users a lot.