Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 25, 2019

Bose Cube speakers

Hello everyone,

I am building myself a second Bose lifestyle system and was wondering if all the qube speakers have the same quality and sound.

I did read this guys saying the redline cubes are the best. Can anyone shed some light on this as they all appear to look the same.

If I want better quality which serial or model should I look for.

Thanks in advance. daz

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: Bose Cube speakers

@Dazman1963 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am building myself a second Bose lifestyle system and was wondering if all the qube speakers have the same quality and sound.

I did read this guys saying the redline cubes are the best. Can anyone shed some light on this as they all appear to look the same.

If I want better quality which serial or model should I look for.

Thanks in advance. daz

I am not familiar with the Red line (other than a couple YouTube videos) but they appear to be part of the reflected sound line and are larger cubes. The best speakers were always the smaller jewel cubes with the articulating speakers. Whatever you do make sure your speakers are correctly matched with the Acoustimass modules and consoles.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 25, 2019

Thanks for that I think all qubes are the same.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

They are not all the same.  Bose had the single cubes, then developed the "direct/reflecting" speakers that were one cube ontop of the other.  The smaller version of this was the "Jewel cube" which was made with more premium materials and had better sound.  Both the Direct/reflecting and Jewel Cube were replaced with a series II which was partially a design change, but they were supposed to sound better (no longer articulating, but inside the body, the drivers were still angled).  Now thier best ones are the Omni-jewel which put sound out 360 degrees. 

I would suggest that unless you have the right console and software it may not calibrate for the reflected sound in the best way.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Morlock wrote:

I would suggest that unless you have the right console and software it may not calibrate for the reflected sound in the best way.

I agree. The Bose systems are tightly integrated with little room for variance, even between series.

Mixing and matching is discouraged and could result in poor results.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 3, 2020

Forgive me tagging on to this thread by my scenario seems relevant.

I've had a Lifestyle 28 IV for over a decade and decided to get an updated setup, so I bought a used Lifestyle AV35 with jewel speaker. 

I wanted to test the console before replacing the speaker, speaker mounts and cables.

The AV35 console would not work with the LS28 acoustimass so I used the AV35 acoustimass too.

But, I left the old, larger LS28 double-cube speakers in place.  The adaptiq setup ran fine and I used the system like this for a few days. All very good.

Next, I replaced all the LS28 double-cube speakers with the smaller and much lighter jewel speakers and ran adaptiq again.

The results are hugely disappointing.  It's like someone ripped the soul out of the system. It's all highs and lows, and the warmth and richness of the sound is gone.  The highs do sound pure, but it's cold and lacks depth.

Is there a setting somewhere I can alter, or is this the design?

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

You should not try using Bose speakers with a different console or bass module than the one specified as part of the Bose system.  You cannot mix and match Bose components and expect acceptable results.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Bill Door wrote:

Forgive me tagging on to this thread by my scenario seems relevant.

I've had a Lifestyle 28 IV for over a decade and decided to get an updated setup, so I bought a used Lifestyle AV35 with jewel speaker. 

I wanted to test the console before replacing the speaker, speaker mounts and cables.

The AV35 console would not work with the LS28 acoustimass so I used the AV35 acoustimass too.

But, I left the old, larger LS28 double-cube speakers in place.  The adaptiq setup ran fine and I used the system like this for a few days. All very good.

Next, I replaced all the LS28 double-cube speakers with the smaller and much lighter jewel speakers and ran adaptiq again.

The results are hugely disappointing.  It's like someone ripped the soul out of the system. It's all highs and lows, and the warmth and richness of the sound is gone.  The highs do sound pure, but it's cold and lacks depth.

Is there a setting somewhere I can alter, or is this the design?

These systems are very tightly engineered. Mix and match is not encouraged. As well the models you are talking about are old. These audio systems especially the speakers do decay. I always maintain, putting good money after bad vis a vis trying to breath life into old gear by adding pieces of new is not wise. Forget the old systems, save your money and invest in new, you will be much happier.

Highlighted

Hey Bill, 

Great question! 

@Xyz987 is correct, you should not mix and match the systems together as they are designed to work as a unit. Can I please ask why you changed the speakers from the system and where you purchased them from?

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 3, 2020

In this case the mix was superior to the matched.

Just to re-interate from the above. The AV35 is a used purchase, therefore it was logical to test the console and acoustimass for functionality (i.e. not broken) before de-installing all my cabling and undoing my speaker mounts.   

This is why the AV35 console and acoustimass were temporarily connected to the LS28 speakers.

However the results of this mix were not disappointing, which seems a surprise to you guys?  The much older, larger and heavier LS28 speakers were definitely better.

It's only when the LS28 speakers were removed and the jewel speakers added that there was such a change.